Registration Options in UK?

Is there any way around the dreaded IVA? Has anyone any advice or options? If you can prove you have an old kit (early 80's) is there any exemptions?

pm me if you have any suggestions or paperwork that might help!

yes.....this thread has been edited.....Simon made a very good point!

Last edited:
Re: Log Book for GT40 Needed

Mark,

You should not post this on an open forum such as this. It attracts too much unwanted interest!
Personally I'm not aware of any kit car that can't be modified to pass the iva, the inherent problems of the GT40 (being low...lights etc) can all be overcome.
Exactly what sort of things need to be re-done?

Simon

Mark,
My GTD chassis that I am currently building, is built to the original plans that Ray Christopher made. OK I have done a few geometry tweaks, but it is still the same chassis and it is a GT40 body.

Things can be made oK for the IVA test by moving switches closer to the wheel, or putting mini style guards on; siliconing on rubber onto the Smiths Classic gauges where they can be contacted.

A little confused as to your dilema; unless you feel that you are staring at a 1000 cliff and not knowing where to start to climb.

Could I suggest you list the areas where you think that you have issues and I am sure that myself and other forum members can chime in with ideas to assist you through your dilema.

As Simon mentions, you are in fact suggestion something more akin to vehicle fraud...

Brett

Understood......it just seems like a bit of an abyss at the moment.......windscreens, engine emissions, lights, interior...................the list goes on and on and on!

If I do go down the route of the dreaded IVA then it might be better just to put the thing in and get a list of all the things needed to achieve a pass.

Thanks for all the offers of help - I'm sure I'll have to turn to you guys at some point.

Last edited:

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Mark

Yes the IVA and SVA is a pain but not insurmountable

1) Height of headlights - crank up the suspension fully - make it look like a 4x4 and the bottom of the headlight will meet the pass level
2) Reverse and Fog lights - again careful placement meens that they pass the height test
3) Front Indicators - in the lower recess is too low - use some mini motorbike units in the headlight recess (E marked and bright)
4) Side Windows = leave them out
5) Front windscreen will come with a UK etched mark if purchased in the UK
6) Bulkhead window - polycarbonate passes - glass needs e marked - your choice for the easy route
7) As per Brett Switches can be moved closer to the steering wheel center to get a pass (does not look correct but passes the test)
8) Emissions - pre 1970 engine is best as it is smoke test only - other than that up to 1992 engine can pass on a carb - after that Efi (and possibly cats required)
9) No outside door handles - you don't need them if you don't have door windows in and the upright door thing is behind your shoulder line and thus not tested
10) Seatbelts - must have a press button release cannot be twist release
11) Seats - have to meet specs and have a headrest
12) Noise =bugger to pass with anything like radical cam - keep it mild
13) Tyres make sure E marked and suitable for max speed
14) Need to box in filler neck to keep out of cockpit area
15) Need to weld up brake balance bar - leave unwelded for first test and once pass confirmed weld it in that place for retest

Book the car in and it will fail (Has to fail so they prove they did their job)
Retest only tests the failed items and so put those right and get the pass

A pain to do and supposedly for safety but I'm not convinced!

Ian

Thank Ian,

When you type it out like that it makes me feel a bit better! I guess part of the problem is that building one of these cars up here (Ayrshire) is a kind of lonely experience! There aren't a great deal of them around - even just to have a look at another one and keep the motivation up! I should really try to hook up with some of you guys to get a look at your cars as I often work near Heathrow (Ascot) during the week and more often than not I'm sat about hotels at night wishing I was at home in my garage and getting on with my car!

I guess this is really where the forum comes into it's own. Did your car get SVA or IVA (I ask, but I'm not too sure of the difference!). I'm running a Rover V8 like you - I think SD1, but I'll need to check the year for the test.

Thanks for your advice.

Mark,

If you're near heathrow and fancy a trip round the M25 (I'm exactly opposite heathrow!) you'd be very welcome.

Simon

Thanks Simon - that would be good. Are you going to this meeting?

Ian - forgive my geography (me being an extreme northerner!) but where abouts is the meeting? I'm staying in Bracknell, but I should be able to borrow the works van (I flew down this morning). Are you close by?

Mark
I am on the other side the country ( East Lothian ) but currently building a Mk1 type c KVA in gulf colours. Ford V8 302 . I have just about all of the parts for completion as the car has been built to 80% and never turned a wheel before I got it. I have started from scratch again to do everything how i want it. So drop me a PM if I can help or offer any assistance ( well motivation)
Cheers

Thanks Robin,

That would be great. Just having the chance to look at how some things have been done on another car will help (certainly in the motivation dept!). In the overall scheme of things, East Lothian isn't far away at all, so I'll defdinately take you up on that offer. Similarly, if you are ever near Glasgow then let me know and you can drop in here for a coffee.

I'm down in Ascot at the moment and I managed to meet up with the Surrey guys last night thanks to Ian Anderson. Different world down here......on what was apparently a 'quiet' night they had about 25 people - most of them car owners. A really friendly bunch with lots of good advice.

Back