Registering and insuring in Iowa?

I am scratch building a 40 and was wondering what it will take to get it licensed in Iowa. Any info on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Shawn

Kelly

Lifetime Supporter
I live in the Quad Cities Shawn registered my car last September. Other than getting the inspector to show up and post his inspection results to the IA DOT information center it was a breeze. It regusterd as a 1966 GT40 under make of replica. I'll post more later.

K

Kelly

Lifetime Supporter
Shawn,

PM me with your email address and I'll give you some information but the short version is you can thank SEMA for lobbying and succeeding in obtaining a an Iowa House Resolution that allows replica cars to be registered as the year vehicle they replicate. For a GT40 in Iowa this is huge because this will mean you pay $50/yr for registration instead of several thousand if it fell into an advalorum (based on value) category of registration. I'll elaborate more on the inspection process when you PM me but suffice it to say, it was more focused on my ability to prove the major components were purchased and not stolen than it was a technical inspection of the vehicle. My car is an SPF car so it had a manufacturers statement of origin. Since you are scratch build, it will be important for you to document your build and the origin of parts. I downloaded a PDF from the IA DOT website that Has minimum requirements for home built vehicles I can send you. You might poke around at the IA DOT website.

Kelly

Back