VIN Number

Guys,
I need to put a UK VIN number on the Tornado chassis so that I can insure it whilst I am still building. In searching the web, it needs to be a 17 digit alphanumeric number, based on for example manufacture, model year, etc.
Can anyone out there confirm whether this number can be made up folowing the 17 digit format or whether there is another method for getting a VIN number.
Also, for the IVA, does it need to be stamped directly into the chassis or canb it be stamped onto a plate that is riveted to the chassis.
Thanks in advance.
Ian

Footman James were one of the insurance companies that requested a chassis number on the frame. They did give me a quote, which you're right, it is reasonable but they insisted on a VIN. Once I get one marked on the car, then I will go with them, but I'm not sure whether I can make one up myself and whether I can put in a riveted plate or stamp into the frame.
If anyone out there knows, any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks

Hi Ian
I've just had a VIN issued by the Glasgow DVLA office. You just need to fill in a couple of forms and they'll provide one in the correct format. They're very friendly and will help you with the paperwork. You need to have the number stamped on the right side of the vehicle somewhere and possibly may need to have a separate chassis plate riveted on. I'm still working on interpreting the IVA rules. Give me a PM and I'll give you full details of what I've done to my Tornado chassis.

Back