US replica registering information for all 50 states

John B

Temp Selling Pass
Can anybody explain better than me;;;

What is the CERTIFICATE OF ORIGIN FOR A VEHICLE?

It seems to be a issue from buyers about Kit CAR registration..

Thanks

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Can anybody explain better than me;;;

What is the CERTIFICATE OF ORIGIN FOR A VEHICLE?

It seems to be a issue from buyers about Kit CAR registration..

Thanks

The manufacturer of a vehicle supplies it with an MSO (Manufacturer's Statement of Origin). Different people and agencies probably use different words. Shown below is a redacted one from Superformance.

Sample MSO.jpg

it is, I believe, the logical equivalent to the title for a car prior to first registration. It has a form on the back for transferring to subsequent buyer(s).

what if i dont have the Cert. Org. How can I get it titled?

Each state is different. Maybe somebody from Michigan will chime in, but start with your state DMV. In Illinois, there are two procedures, one for if you have a cert and the other if you don't that involves photos, receipts, inspection, etc. (although I have not been through either process myself).

I breezed through the site above, but if I recall, it has links to all state DMVs. Start there.

Eric

John B

Temp Selling Pass
Confused about Registration.

Ok!
My car is sold but the buyer can't get a loan without the Title. So he asked me to get it titled so he can get a loan. I read all the registration Info from IL, and I'm little confused. I had the car inspected by NSRA and passed with no problem. So what next?

1. Do I take the NSRA form and the certificate of Origin and go to the DMV pay fee's and that it? OR,
2. I read that the car has to be inspected again by a IL. DMV to get the car registered.

From what I read, I think the form from NSRA is all I need and the COFO but I may be wrong..HELP PLEASE!
John

Texas Title & Registration? I went yesterday to the title office to start my process (though my RCR is several years from being complete). I offered my MSO and taxe$ and they completed the request for title which states; 1965 RCR4 CP (coupe). I'll post again when I get the title cert and share exactly what it states.

I asked about tags, and they said when ready to drive, get an inspection at one of the "Due Now" inspection stations (~$12), bring in your insurance, and pay for regular tags. Almost too simple - what'd I miss. Apparently replicas do not qualify for "Antique" tags, but do for "Classic" car tags (Which I was told will no longer be available after the first of the new year) or regular auto tags.

Last edited:

Michael Holmes

Lifetime Supporter
Texas Title & Registration? I went yesterday to the title office to start my process (though my RCR is several years from being complete). I offered my MSO and taxe$ and they completed the request for title which states; 1965 RCR4 CP (coupe). I'll post again when I get the title cert and share exactly what it states.

I asked about tags, and they said when ready to drive, get an inspection at one of the "Due Now" inspection stations (~$12), bring in your insurance, and pay for regular tags. Almost too simple - what'd I miss. Apparently replicas do not qualify for "Antique" tags, but do for "Classic" car tags (Which I was told will no longer be available after the first of the new year) or regular auto tags.

If the car sales the issue will be passed on the next buyer. If you never sale it then no prob. If the car ever makes it to CA the 1965 title will never work. The CHP is cracking down on all special construction cars not bearing the YOM date on the title.

I actually purchase the kit from a seller in the Santa Barbara area who had just spent over 4k on a registration process that was his path to completing the kit. He decided to sell before completion even after getting one of the only 500 per year (?) available permit applications. Anyhow, I used the original MSO with a 1965 mfrg date and I even explained what the car was... waiting to see what the actual title looks like when it arrives.

OK, got my title in the mail today. RCR was titled as a 1965 RCR4 Coupe. Should not be an issue with tags/registration. Now all I gotta do is build a car!!!

Back