International Shipping Company Recommendations

Where would I post to ask if anyone has any recommendations for an international shipping company (US to Europe)?

Valerie

This is probably as good a place as any? If there is a more appropriate place for this query, Ron or one of the other Administrator Elves will undoubtedly move it. :laugh:

Anyway, I have some experience in this realm, as I shipped my '66 Shelby GT350 clone to England in 2004 and back to the USA in 2005. I stumbled across an excellent resource:

Auto Transport DIRECTORY for Car Shipping, Car Moving

It's basically just a collection of links for various car shipping companies, along with some great information about the process. The specific link for overseas shipping is here

Moving Cars and Shipping Cars DIRECTORY

I phoned every company listed (there were many more back in 2004) to get quotes, and was surprised to see how much they varied. What was really surprising was the fact that all the companies were selling a space on the SAME ship! There are only a handful of SHIP companies that handle this kind of cargo. The companies listed on the website above are essentially operating like travel agents. Just as a dozen travel agents might give you a dozen different price quotes for the same seat on the same flight, so it is with car shipping.

Having said all that, the ne plus ultra of car shipping companies is CARS Europe (Classic Auto Relocation Services):

CARS Home Page

The owner of this company is a friend of mine, Richard Clark. He's well-known in vintage race circles, as he runs a very original Porsche 356 all over the world (handy when you own your own car shipping company!) and a hot-rod 356 in the La Carrera race. CARS Europe caters to the high-end set (Pebble Beach, bucks-up vintage racers etc.) and provides an arguably much higher level of service, with a commensurate increase in cost. Is your car worth such service, and can you afford it? Only you can decide.....

What is your specific plan? Are you looking at a temporary importation, or a permanent move, or the sale of a car to an overseas buyer, or ????

Thanks, Mike. My post was moved and it took me a while to find your reply. I very much appreciate the information on international shipping companies.

As to my specific plan: I have a few people who have expressed some interest in the 1966 GT 40 replica Sabre kit I have for sale. But since I haven't seen any concrete offers yet :sad:, it's a bit premature to be lining up shippers... Still, you've proved some great resources if no domestic buyer surfaces.

Thanks again.

Valerie

Does anyone have any further recommendations for finding a company to ship a car (not a GT40) from the US to the UK (and back).

Back