Help with Reg IL.

John B

Temp Selling Pass
Ok!
My car is sold but the buyer can't get a loan without the Title. So he asked me to get it titled so he can get a loan. I read all the registration Info from IL, and I'm little confused. I had the car inspected by NSRA and passed with no problem. So what next?

1. Do I take the NSRA form and the certificate of Origin and go to the DMV pay fee's and that it? OR,
2. I read that the car has to be inspected again by a IL. DMV to get the car registered.

From what I read, I think the form from NSRA is all I need and the COFO but I may be wrong..HELP PLEASE!
John

Ron Earp

Admin
John, unless someone has direct experience in IL with your county it is next to impossible to really help you. I went through the procedure here in NC from start to finish and wrote it up. I would guess yours will be similar but you need to call your DMV, explain what you wish to do, and follow their directions. Keep calling DMV offices until you find someone that knows about registering self built cars. And, remember you are going to have to now pay tax on the car once it is titled and registered.

So you haven't been driving this car over the last five or six years?

Chuck

Supporter
The process is time consuming and requires a bit of patience. I have registered a Cobra and a GT in Illinois in the last four years. The rules have changed a bit, particularly regarding the inspection. When I registered the GT in 2009 there was a plan to shift away from the NSRA inspections and instead have inspections by the State Police. I would suggest you visit this web site for current information:

How to Apply for Title and Registration for a Custom Vehicle and Street Rod

The "tree" for this site, if the link does not work is: www.cyberdriveillinois.com. Then click "service". Then click "service for motorists." Then click "title and registeration." Then go to "custom vehicle and street rod". You will want option number 1. (Don't you just love the way the government does things ! !).

It helps to talk to someone in the Secretary of State's or State Police office in Springfield. I talked to Lou Ann, 217-557-2086, and she was very helpful. If that number does not work, try calling 217-782-9796 and ask for Michelle. She probably can't help you but may be able to direct you to the right person.

The documents I took to Springfield to complete the process included:

1. Application for Vehicle Title and Registration
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
P><P><FONT face=
2. Vehicle Safety Inspection, completed and executed by the designated inspector<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
3. Original Certificate of Origin<o:p></o:p>
4. Bill of Sale from the manufacturer of the kit documenting purchase price for car kit<o:p></o:p>
5. Purchase Receipt from engine manufacturer documenting purchase price for engine and engine.<o:p></o:p>
6. Photos of car<o:p></o:p>
7. Check in the sum of $ _____ for the registration and title fees.<o:p></o:p>

I took all the documents to Springfield personally and walked them through. Lou Ann (number above) handled the paperwork while I waited. Any issues can be addressed directly. It is much faster than waiting to process it by mail. Be sure to call before you go. State employees don't work the same hours as normal people.

In addition to the registration fees, you will be required to pay sales tax (if not already paid). Form RUT25.

I cannot tell you whether the NSRA inspection will suffice or whether an additional inspection by the State Police will be required. That aspect of the process was in the process of being changed in 2009.

Hopefully Lu Ann or whomever is still handling the process can direct you. What ever instructions they give you, follow them to the letter.

Good luck

Chuck

Back