Importing a kit to the US - customs question

Hi all
I'm importing a crate of parts from the UK due to arrive at US customs in a few days. However, my broker gave me a NHTSA form to fill out: HS-7

I would have expected my broker to know how to best take care of this on my behalf, but they are leaving the responsibility to me.

Has anyone been through this process and how did you categorize your kit? What supporting documentation did you need?
Depending how you classify the shipment (an incomplete car, car parts, etc), you also may need to show compliance with federal safety standards of parts, etc. I don't have any such thing. The parts are: a bare chassis, fiberglass panels, boxes of parts such as suspension, fuel tank, wheel bearings, windshield, wheels&tires, radiator, etc

Any help is greatly appreciated

Paul

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I would think that your Vendor should be your first stop in finding out how to get this kit into the country. If they can't help you, maybe they should reconsider their exporting business..

Who's kit is it?

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
John

We handle all of the shipping and importation for our customers so that it just gets delivered to their door.
Thanks

Andy

The broker that I used at the port of entry, Boston, needed me to answer a few questions about the parts being imported and final destination then did the rest of the paper work.They even arranged transport from Boston to here in Vermont.
Bill

Paul,
Sad to let you know that your broker cannot or is not supposed to help you with the form. You are the importer. It is up to the owner/importer to fill it out. Your agent is just an intermediary. You have to decide which part of the form applies. About all he can do is make suggestions or give you guidance. When I imported mine, it was a sale from a private individual. His instructions were to ship all in one container but to remove the engine /trans. I didn't find out until the car was in transit, that he hadn't done as I requested. I was in fear that they would consider the car as a complete car and have to meet DOT/Safety standards for the year of manufacture. With few options I chose to import it as a race car as that was the option that would let me get the car into the country without a hassel. Otherwise I would have to export it, remove the engine and reimport it. No thank you.
So lets go through the choices.
Choices 1-4 do not apply to you at all because the car is not complete, or made complete by adding things to it that would make it complete such as mirrors bumpers etc.
No5 does not apply because you are not a non resident.
No 6- Ditto, you are not a diplomat.
No7 is a little slippery. It does say that is for competition.49 CFR 591.7 has been added and it is not a good thing. You will have to post a temporary Importation Bond that the car will not remain in the country for more than 3 years(a). (b) states that if you plan to keep it more than 3 years it can't be for more than 5 unless you petition the Treasury dept. to extend it. (c) says you just can't sell it. (d) basicly says you can't drive it more than 2500 miles or you could be fined. (e) is not clear, but it seems to say that if the Registered importer(whoever that is, I guess you) has his registration revoked or suspended, and there is no certification label on the car you have to get a new Registered importer.
Now back to No.7.It basicly says you can import the car. Now this form has been changed since I filled mine out. It says that you will either export the car or destroy the car no more than 30 days after the period of importation(3-5 years). A. states that if you aren't a manufacturer, then you need a letter from NHTSA giving you permission to drive the car. b. says that if you plan to put the car on the road, for how long,on the public roads is necessary, and state the intended means of final disposition (and disposition date) after completion of the purpose for which it is imported(racing, show, demonstrtion etc.). In other words, how you plan to get rid of the car(export it or destroy it) after 3-5 years and the date you will have done so.
8 says that the car was not PRIMARILY intended to go on the road, and you have to submit a statement substantiating that the vehicle was not manufactured for use on the public roads.
9 says that your car requires further manufacturing operations to perform its intended function, and it will take more than adding mirrors or painting and the manufacturer of the incomplete vehicle has to make a statement providing guidance on completing the vehicle so that it conforms to all
applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS).
10 says tht the car is being imported for show and display and will comply with 49 CFR 591.7. [591.5(j)].See No. 7
11 aplys to theft prevention standards
12 does not apply because you are not in the armed services.
13 says that the car doesn't comply with safety and bumper standards but DOES comply with Federal Theft prevention standards, so this one does not apply.

So, where does this leave us. I think your best bet is No.8 I used No.7 as Bill Bayard did as well. The requirements have changed, so that won't work for you. With 8 It says the car was not PRIMARILY manufactured to operate on the roads and therefore doesn't have to meet the regulations. You have to make a statement substantiating that the vehicle was not manufactured for use on the public roads.
There is a little difference in the wording of the regulation and the attachment required. I think you have to make a statement of why it is not PRIMARILY manufactured to operate on the road. That being it was manufactured to run on the race track AND on the road. Several models of the GT 40 (MK III) were manufactured for road use. My good friend owns one.
Most of this information that they want this for, is for tax purposes
I hope this helps.

Bill

Last edited:
Thanks all - this is very helpful. I very much apologize for not giving all the details in the original post - the car is not a GT40 replica (although there will almost certainly be one in my future at some point), it's a replica of a Lancia Stratos, but I've been a reader of this forum for quite a while and posted here because I believe this is one of the most knowledgeable groups out there. The company I bought from has not exported to the US in a long time - these cars are quite rare here, so I'm somewhat on my own.

Also, when I say kit, I mean unassembled - what I'm importing is just individual parts - chassis, bodywork, suspension related bits, etc (no drivetrain components)

Bill, I'm just wondering if that changes any of reasoning you provided - box 8 does make sense since I will be using the car on the track a significant portion of the time, in fact road use is likely to be much later due to process involved there. My broker did just get back to me, and while not telling me what to state, did say that for similar shipments, people tend to use box 2a or 2b for the safety related components. The only safety related components I have in the shipment per their definition are: windshield, some lamp covers, a set of tires which probably all have DOT markings on them (although not sure about the lamp covers since they're from an old Fiat 850 - I think the GT40 uses the same style). If I can check box 2a then, I wouldn't need to bother making the separate declaration needed in support of box8. Either option might be ok?

Here's another piece of info I found:

Completing the DOT Form HS-7 for Auto Part Imports - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com

Best Regards (and again apologies for misleading you due to not providing the car details)
Paul

Paul,
The article makes sense and probably is a good choice for you, as you have parts and only parts. If you follow that advice, I woulod warn you to follow it very tightly and provide any and all documentation from yourself and the manufacturer. No. 8 is still a good alternative. If you had a motor with the parts, then I would say go with 8, but you don't so its a toss up. I guess if I were in your situation, I would lean to toward No.2 as that is what you have. So reread or print out the advice and follow it to a T.

Bill

Ron Scarboro

GT40s Supporter
Supporter
Thanks all - this is very helpful. I very much apologize for not giving all the details in the original post - the car is not a GT40 replica (although there will almost certainly be one in my future at some point), it's a replica of a Lancia Stratos, but I've been a reader of this forum for quite a while and posted here because I believe this is one of the most knowledgeable groups out there. The company I bought from has not exported to the US in a long time - these cars are quite rare here, so I'm somewhat on my own.

Hey are you the buyer of the ListerBell that is coming to the USA?

I have not done this for a long time but without an installed motor and trans, it is just car parts and should be donoted as that. You may need to have copies of invoices so they can check for stolen parts, etc. Bring it into a very busy port and clear customs there. If you bring it to your local town customs office to be cleared, it may sit for a long time while they try to make a decision since they don't clear cars everyday.

Yes, you can see a picture under the news section of the listerbell website! The shipment has just arrived into Portland, OR. Should be no problem regarding detail invoices, etc, but per advice given I'll be double-checking everything prior to submission of my paperwork to customs. It was really just this HS-7 form that created the uncertainty for me, and prompted the questions.

Best Regards
Paul

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
I talked to John about buying one of them when they were first offered...I had a Napier Stratos and John was involved with them a while back so he knows his stuff...
I want to see one in the flesh later in the year when I go home, as they look like the only real advancement made in the Stratos world for a long time..

Quick follow up question that I'm hoping someone could answer or point me in the right direction.
Per above discussion, I went with option 2a on the HS-7 form, but now my broker is asking for additional info for some tires I've got included in the shipment. They need the manufacturing plant address as part of the DOT related paperwork being submitted. Don't ask me why - all I know is that lack of this caused customs to reject the paperwork submission. If I know the DOT code, I can look it up, but this is the info I'm missing.
The tires are Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position S-02, purchased in the UK possibly 5+ years ago, so what I need is someone in the UK with an older set of these tires that can tell me the DOT code on the sidewall. I realize that it's not 100% guaranteed that they'll be the same, but it's a fair chance and the best I can do. Failing that I've advised my broker to go the alternate path discussed above (ie racecar classification, which is also valid and will avoid this requirement)

The sad part is, I don't even want the tires - they're too old to be of any use to me - it was only the wheels they were attached to that I wanted, not realizing of course that this would generate a paperwork headache!
Best Regards
Paul

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Does not appear that these tires are DOT Approved tires. The country of origin appears to be Japan.

Bridgestone Potenza S-02

Not sure this is of much help to you. You could contact Tire Rack or Bridgestone for more information I suppose..

Hi all

Thanks a lot for all the advice - kit has been cleared by customs with no issues (unless you count the fact that it was chosen for inspection which I had to pay extra for - transportation, x-ray fees, etc, etc :sad:).
I'll be picking it up Monday and hopefully getting to enjoy next phase of the adventure :thumbsup:

Paul

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
:thumbsup: CONGRATULATIONS PAUL :thumbsup:

Make sure you show us some pictures of the new project!

Paul,
Glad it all worked out for you. Hopefully this experience has taught you a little patience. That is what it will take to build one of these, for sure.

Bill

I know this is an old post (3 years), but it's been a long road to get this project finished with 2 job changes, lots of overseas travel and a move from WA to CA and then figuring out CA registration requirements all threatening completion, but I did persevere and wanted to close the chapter and post a few photos per Randy's request above.
Maybe my next project will be a GT40. I do think about it every time I see one, although Lola T70 is another very strong contender

Attachments

• 13920183447_54a694558d_c.jpg
    13920183447_54a694558d_c.jpg
    364.3 KB · Views: 432
  • post-12234-1399266742.jpg
    post-12234-1399266742.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 438
  • untitled (3).jpg
    untitled (3).jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 406
Back