Changing to a private Registration Plate????

Help!
My car was SVA'd in 2007 and is shown on the V5 as manufactured in 2007 and first registered in 2007; as such, it didn't need an MOT until it was 3 years old.

When it was first registered, it went straight on to a L plate (AML998L), but I fancy putting a different plate on it.

I assume I can put an older plate on the car, but could I put something more modern on it, say an 07 plate?

Can anybody help?

Thanks in advance

Darren

Brian Magee

Supporter
Hi Darren,

You can have an older registration put on your car but you are not allowed to change the registration to a later one that will give the effect of making the vehicle look younger than it is. Why not find a '60s or early '70s? If it does not read anything special they can be bought fairly cheap.

Brian.

Thanks Brian

I know that you can't change the reg to make the car look newer than it is, but with the car being SVA'd & registered in 2007 (but put onto an old L reg), am I limited by the L reg or by 2007?

If it is the latter, then I have way more options in terms of plates, whereas if I am stuck with the old L-reg or earlier, then there don't seem to many options except random letters and numbers. I know some think private plates are tacky, but I think they can be fun, especially on the right car.

I think it depends on how it was put on to the L plate. It should have been on a 07/57 plate, not an L plate. Unless the person who registered it convinced the DVLA that it was some how older than it was. Maybe the parts used in its construction. Andy at Tornado might know how it was done, and could be worth a phone call. However, if you want to know for sure if it can be done, then a phone call to your local DVLA office is in order.

The rule is you cannot make a car look younger than it is, but just how old the DVLA think your car is, is the point of discussion.

If it was registered as new following the SVA test in 2007, then 2007 will be the determining factor, not the fact that you currently have an L reg.

I agree with Brian though, best to get a C, D,E or F plate, rather than a more modern number.

Have a look on e-bay. I bought my F plate for £30.

Darren, I agree with Chris E that the date of first registration will be the determining factor unless you transferred the number and identity from a donor vehicle that was "L" reg. If you had all new parts and no donor vehicle (i think that will be the case with a new SVA registration) then you should be able to put on a 2007 plate. Once again though the best source for this is the DVLA, quote your registration or SVA number and ask them direct, they are the ones with the final decision. As an aside my car was registered in Sept 2007 and had an 06 plate put on, It is still a Sept 07 car and as such if I sold it and kept the number plate (which only means something to me and my wife) I would expect the car to be given an age related plate i.e. "57"

Gents - Thanks for all of your thoughts.

I spoke to DVLA who said that if I purchased a more modern plate I should be able to put it on the car as the V5 and their records show that the car was first registered and manufactured on 1st August 2007.

However, they said that as it's first registration number was an age related, there would be a slight chance that I may hit complications.

They suggested that I write a letter to DVLA and send it to them along with my log book. I am not too happy about doing this, just in case they decide that an error has been made which may lead to more work for me. Looks like an age related number (C, D, E reg) may be the best way forward....

Shame, as I found X00 40 XX on the DVLA site for just £255! Not a classic number, but definately interesting!

Cheers

Darren

Get yourself a nice old number as already mentioned above. Way cooler IMO. I paid £150 for my 1967 F reg number.

Back