DVLA /v5 question for the UK guys

Hi I own a little lotus europa (banks 62) and it is still on a uk reg. plate (car is in holland but DVlA site has no information about export so I think it is still reg. in the UK

I need to change the engine number before I officially import the car to holland.(I want the reg.papers to be as good as possible)
the question is can this (still) be done over the post or do I need to show the car to an M.O.T. man?

little background: it is a V5, not an V5c and the car is from 1969. has an 1809cc nissan turbo engine that is allready on the V5 but engine number on the V5 is the engine code (ca18det) and in holland they want to see the engine number.....

thanks, rick

(btw I have a friend in the UK who is happy to send the v5 to the dvla so I can use his adres)

nobody? I have heard that the dvla wants proof of the engine (bill or letter from dealer) is this true? (because it is only a engine number i want to change, not the cc's)

rick

Last edited:
Hi
In the 'old days' DVLA would accept the owners confirmation on an engine change and would issue the new V5 without any questions. Nowadays although the process is still fairly straightwforward, the DVLA will gebnerally only require a supporting letter from 'a garage' to confirm that the engine has been changed by them, or otherwise they can confirm that they carried out an inspection on the car and found that it has had a different engine fitted
No physical MOT test or inspection is required.
Hope this helps
Cheers

Hi Paulus, thanks for the reply, in the mean time i have been over to the UK for work and have visited the lotus europa guru in this world (richard from banks service station) he has send the v5 to the DVLA and I got a V5c back with the correct engine number and a color change, no questions asked by the DVLA about a letter to confirm the engine (maybe because it was just a number change or maybe because it was a garage doing it for me)

cheers, rick

Hi Rick, I just see you have a Banks Europa 62?
wow...
love those, just seen one for sale (pretty rare me thinks)

P1270789CRgUmqCJ.jpg

wondering would you get one of those also on our Dutch roads?, they mentioning it comes
with a 1971 Lotus Europa donor car registration document.

also has a modern engine which would give some trouble me thinks ;-)
sadly the engine is transverse mounted and not longitudinal, but its a nice base.

racecarsdirect.com (Race Cars For Sale) » Banks Lotus Europa

do you have pictures of yours and does it already have the Dutch plates?

Back