Washington State registration related question

Hi all
I'm the guy who's in your debt for advice related to bringing my Lancia Stratos kit through customs back in March (see thread a few posts down). After a few stops and starts, I'm finally making some good progress with my build, which leads to this question regarding WA registration process:

I bought a complete running Alfa Romeo 164 as a donor vehicle and have now removed the drivetrain along with anything else I might need from it. This car is titled in my name and currently registered and insured. I would like to get rid of the shell now that it's of no more use to me, but what will I need to keep when it comes time for Washington State Patrol inspection of my Stratos replica to show proof of ownership of all key parts such as engine, transmission, etc. I guess I don't know the process of disposing of a car shell, what documentation I need to keep, etc. Should I just keep the car and title until then, or if I get rid of it, what paperwork do I need to show that I still own the drivetrain and other parts? Just get a receipt from whoever takes it off my hands to say it's now without an engine?

Hope my question isn't too silly and makes sense to someone
Best Regards
Paul

Hi all
I'm the guy who's in your debt for advice related to bringing my Lancia Stratos kit through customs back in March (see thread a few posts down). After a few stops and starts, I'm finally making some good progress with my build, which leads to this question regarding WA registration process:

I bought a complete running Alfa Romeo 164 as a donor vehicle and have now removed the drivetrain along with anything else I might need from it. This car is titled in my name and currently registered and insured. I would like to get rid of the shell now that it's of no more use to me, but what will I need to keep when it comes time for Washington State Patrol inspection of my Stratos replica to show proof of ownership of all key parts such as engine, transmission, etc. I guess I don't know the process of disposing of a car shell, what documentation I need to keep, etc. Should I just keep the car and title until then, or if I get rid of it, what paperwork do I need to show that I still own the drivetrain and other parts? Just get a receipt from whoever takes it off my hands to say it's now without an engine?

Hope my question isn't too silly and makes sense to someone
Best Regards
Paul

Paul,

Don't worry about getting rid of the shell, just put it out in the back yard and let it rust away...

What you need when you show up to get your Stratos licensed is an acceptable title and VIN of some kind. If you are presenting the Stratos as a "rebuilt" car (your 164 in drag) and using the VIN from the 164 then you'll need some paperwork to show that the rebuild parts were legally acquired (ie. not stolen). The car will need to be inspected, and they will ask you about the parts used and also perform a safety inspection to make sure it complies with the State safety requirements (working brake lights, turn signals, etc.).

If you're presenting your Stratos as a vehicle without a current VIN or proper title then you've got a lot more work ahead of you.

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
There is new legislation in place regarding registration of replicas.

RCW 46.16.680: Kit vehicles. (<i>Effective until July 1, 2011.</i>)

Basically, you need to account for all parts in the form of a bill of sale. The primary concern is that you didn't steal anything... Hopefully you have a certificate of origin for the kit with a serial number or VIN that is stamped on the chassis. If not they'll put a VIN on the chassis and you'll need to wait 5 years before you can get a title. Once inspected it will get registered as the model year of the car. In the past if was registered as a KitV with contemporary year. The process is pretty straight forward. Just be sure to get an inspection appointment early, you can't just drive up. Most of the LEOs are car guys so you're not likely to have any issues. I had half of the Bellevue branch SP out looking at my 40 when I had the inspection. That was a picture moment! PM me if you need more info.

Thanks guys

From what I just read in the link I'll want to get it titled as a replica. I have receipts for the kit (chassis, bodywork, suspension parts, etc) from the company in the UK I purchased it from + all customs paperwork, etc also. It does have a serial number on the chassis, but I don't have anything I think I could call an MCO - is there a prefered format for that, or an example of one someone could show me as a reference? The kit manufacturer should have no problem to create that for me if I tell them what I want.
For the car I took the drivetrain from, I don't think I have a receipt from the person I bought it from, but I do have the title document in my name. Presumably that's good enough?

(leaving it rust out the back not an option I'm afraid if I want to stay in my wifes good books - she's already upset that her car will have to stay outside through the winter due to the garage being taken over!)

Related to this last week I contacted WA DOL about the new custom car bill 5585 effective Oct. 1. They are still studying the bill and said to contact them after Oct.1. This bill allows replicas to register as year of replication, not year of manufacture. Also the bill allows retitling of existing cars. My question to them is about inspection of already titled cars. Hopefully I'll get an answer soon and relay it on to other WA replica owners.

Paul,
Your best registration option may be under the new 'custom car' bill SB5585.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/billdocs/2011-12/Pdf/Bills/Senate%20Bills/5585-S.E.pdf

This became effective Oct. 1. It allows replica registrations as year of replication. This exempts you from emission testing and you get collector car plates for a one time $35 fee. No renewals ever. Downside is you are restricted to car events, club drives, and occasional pleasure driving. Not everyday drives to work, but enforcement of that is pretty minimal. You will have to do an inspection, but I don't believe an MSO is necessary, just receipts that you will have to pay sales tax on. I think the inspector will provide a VIN if there isn't one, but if you have one stamp it on the chassis. I've just started inspection process on a retitle of my SPF with the Vancouver, WA station so I'll let you know how this goes.

This new law is pretty cool. I hadn't heard about it. What if my car is already registered and titled (CAV GT40)? Can I get it retitled as the '66 date and get the collector car plate? The nice thing about that plate is that there is no front plate issued for it. This is what I have on my '31 Ford Vicky.

Yes Tom you can retitle your car as a '66 with collector plate. I worked with SEMA and Sen. Carrell along with a lot of Cobra and GT40 supporters to get this thru the legislature in April. I think I'm the first one to start the process of retitling. After some resistance from a state inspector that didn't accept that a retitling provision is in the bill I should be having an inspection soon to verify year of replication. Will let everyone know when that occurs.

Not good news WA GT40 owners. State DOL gave legal ruling today that retitling under 5585 is not legal despite section that says it is. I'm awaiting a call from Steve McDonald at SEMA who drafted the bill and has gotten bills passed in many other states. Since Steve may be at SEMA convention this week we may not hear right away. Speculation on this was that inspection stations got many requests for retitling and DOL+St. Police inspectors may not be happy?
1. They feel overworked with budget cuts?
2. Collector plates are a one time fee and that decreases state money?
3. Someone's just pissed that we tried to do this?

If this is just a retitling thing, why does the car need to be inspected? I would think that this is just a bit of paperwork that needs to be done.

I'll be in touch with my local DOL that knows me pretty well and see what she can come up with as well. I'll reference the law number.

FANTASTIC NEWS!!!
I talked with the DOL person that had shot us down on retitling. She had looked at 5585 again and admitted she had totally overlooked Sec. 5.
She said we do have that right!! Please be patient on inspections. She will notify WSP inspectors. It may take a few days for them to solidify their inspection process on this. Maybe give them a week or two. I believe this is a VIN inspection. I don't know if receipts for chassis, engine, and trans will be required even if you already went thru this. Certainly you won't have to pay use tax twice, but I don't know what happens if you titled long ago and have no receipts now.
<!-- / message -->
<!-- controls -->
progress.gif

I ran my CAV through Wa. State and got it titled as a 1966. The people at the desk were confused about what "make" to put it under. It was agree'ed to use "Custom" by Olympia (headquarteds) with a live call by the person at the deck in Spokane. The supporting dockument you must have is the "MSO"(manufactures statement of orgin). With this the car will not need to go through inspection. The year of the vehicle should be on the MSO, so if is a current year you are screwed to get the vintage plate. If it is 25 years or olded then you can get the vintage plate they assign or come up with a vintage plate that is of "the year of the car" or have one custom made. They will need to run the plate to see if it not currently in use. If you do a custom plate you will have to have the finished plate present as they will not accept a photo or copy of an order for one when you do the transaction. They will use the vin# issued from the manufacture that is on the chassis now as the actual vin #.

When did you get that done Rich? I would question whether year of replication on the MSO is the only proof to get a 1966 title.

Last edited:
It was done July, 2010. It went right through. Their biggest stumbling block was what to call it, due to CAV not being on the Washington state DMV computor list as a manufacture, so using "custom" as like doing a home bilt or custom made it aceptable for the computor to run in the system.

Last edited:
This battle to retitle under 5585 has been a long one. It has tried my patience and I appreciate the support that many of you have given to this bill. I think we are at the finish. I called Bellevue WSP inspection today. The inspector was well aware of DOL's recent reversal on retitling. He said inspections to change from kit car to custom could be scheduled now. It sounded like a full VIN inspection was not required and they would just determine if your car qualified for custom classification and the year change. Their first open date is Dec. 5. Please let us know if you get thru this.

Just wanted to let everyone know the 5585 retitle barrier has been broken. Got a WSP inspection at Bellevue. Nice inspector, only checked the VIN and filled out form with year and met custom vehicle classification. Got my registration and temporary collector vehicle plates today at the local license office. Titled as 1966 Ford GT40. You do sign a form attesting that the vehicle is not a daily driver. This has been a very long road. Thanks to all of you!

Back