Changes to UK MOT April 2012

A friend of mine with a Ford Capri found a thread on Capri Power forum about new MOT regulations coming into effect April 2012.

Before I go any further I have not researched this at all yet so I may just be passing on an unfounded rumor although here is link to the AA site

MOT changes from 2012 | AA

The major item of worry for some on here would be the HID headlight requirements. All HID systems must have working washers and leveling systems including aftermarket systems.

Apparently absence of these systems will result in an advisory in the first yer but a failure after that.

Also drivers seat must be possible to secure in 2 or 3 positions.

Please don't shot the messenger for either content or if this has been raised before (been off the site for a while, lack of enthusiasm for the car but that has been remedied and all systems are go again!!!)

ANT

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Damn

How are you supposed to be able to get a GT40 seat to be movable?

I know drill another set of holes and set about removal and refitting with a set of spanners - that will take about 30 minutes if everything lines up nicely!

What about "original style" where seat is fixed but pedal box moves?

Ian

Having access to the VOSA hotline, seeing as they need me ! I checked on this and the headlight requirement is only for HID but if you DO have HID then you will have to have wipers and all the levelling stuff plus they will have to be E marked so no more Chinese crap off E- Bay.

The seat requirement is ONLY if you have adjustable runners and then only the drivers seat. It's still OK to bolt directly to the floor.

One thing not mentioned is the new requirement to have Cats if original fitment or has been been through IVA with them fitted.

Mike

Hi Mike,
Assuming for example you have a NEW mustang engine that was designed for cats then they must be fitted in your 40 ?
Also if you fit them for IVA then take them off afterwards its a NO NO ?

Assuming the 1970's engines still only have to meet 1970 emmissions ?

Hi Mike,
Assuming for example you have a NEW mustang engine that was designed for cats then they must be fitted in your 40 ?
Also if you fit them for IVA then take them off afterwards its a NO NO ?

Assuming the 1970's engines still only have to meet 1970 emmissions ?

Keith,
ANY new engine or post '93 whether designed for cats or not has to have them fitted for the IVA and, yes, they WILL have to be there for all MOTs thereon.
They do say that all the new regs were introduced to combat the Saturday Night Saxo brigade but obviously will have an impact on the self builder. However, in real terms, probably not much.
Pre '93 are as before, pre '75 is still visible smoke only, no emission check.

Mike

Thanks Mike

It sounds like someone in Vosa may have some sense after all!

Ian

Ian,
actually the people that count at VOSA are genuinely on your side, unfortunately there are still some in "the industry " intent on screwing it up for everybody and VOSA get a bit peed off about that.

Mike

Thew !!!!
I'll have some no visible smoke only Please.

How long till that changes I wonder ?

I heard Audi do an R8 all electric, faster than a petrol ? will have to check that out.
THE PETROL ENGINE WILL BE A THING OF THE PAST our childrens children will laugh one day saying do you remember when we used to put liquids in tanks to get around what a load of tossers our ancesters were.
I'll be dead by then thank ####

Thew !!!!
I'll have some no visible smoke only Please.

How long till that changes I wonder ?

I heard Audi do an R8 all electric, faster than a petrol ? will have to check that out.
THE PETROL ENGINE WILL BE A THING OF THE PAST our childrens children will laugh one day saying do you remember when we used to put liquids in tanks to get around what a load of tossers our ancesters were.
I'll be dead by then thank ####

Our children's children will still be putting liquid into a fuel tank. But that liquid will be hydrogen to power a fuel cell. The electric motor has one big advantage over petrol engines, 100% of the torque, 100% of the time.

Back