Texas Finally Implements Replica Bill

Kelly

Lifetime Supporter
All You can now register your GT40 as a 1966 Ford GT40 Replica custom vehicle, with one initial ASE safety inspection, and then none after that. Mark

In the example you gave, I think you'll find you can register it as 1966 GT40 Model, but you will not be able to register it as a Ford. The make will be "Replica". Of course there is a the possibility that the DMV folks wont follow procedure. It's still a good event for TX. You can thank SEMA for their lobbying effort.

Best,
K

- Titled, registered, plated today in line with Texas custom vehicle legislation effective 29 Mar 2012 as 1966 Ford GT40 replica
- Only real non-standard requirement (ie, tracing vin, motor #s, and trans #'s considered std) was have to go get a certified weight from local truck stop (2620 lbs for MkII, 427 FE sideoiler, edelbrock heads, RBT)
- Since its a custom, never has to have safety or enmissions according to new rules since it is inpsected one time up front by ASE certified master technician

Bottomline;
- Texas legislation worked as advertised.

I'm totally bewildered by the Texas process.

Got a kit from a guy in California who paid $4k to have his kit titled - but did not follow through with the inspection requirements as the car was still basically in as delivered form from RCR. He could not finish the car, Oh well.

I've been working on the kit for a couple of years now - coming along nicely - went to the title office a few months back with the RCR MSO and was issued a title simply because I paid the sales tax and title fees. The car is titled as a 1965 RCR4 coupe. To recieve tags/plates, they said all I need to get is insurance and pay the fees. I believe there will be no inspection requried as the car is a 1965 model. At no time has anyone asked to see the car, see a vin (other than what was on the MSO), engine or trans documentation, or anything else.

Am I missing something, just lucky, or waiting for the other shoe?

Here's a pic of the car as it is today.

Attachments

• 2012-02-04_09-05-53_937.jpg
    2012-02-04_09-05-53_937.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 294
PHP:
Am I missing something, just lucky, or waiting for the other shoe?

Doug: You are very lucky! I need to know which DPS office you went to so I can use them in the future. Now that you have the car titled, you should have no issues with plates or inspection, other than showing insurance. They generally don't give you a title until DPS has inspected all of the receipts, vehicle serial numbers, etc in person.

I use private auto title offices vs. DPS for all of my auto transactions, rarely any lines and a lot less hassle.

Back