UK Car Registration - Receipts

Hi guys

A quick question for those in the uk that have registered their cars avoiding a Q plate. I know you have to provide receipts to show that major components are new but do they have to be just from manufacturer/supplier? What about buying something from an individual who bought the components new (Ebay etc) but never used them and is selling them as new? Would you get away with a receipt for that component?

Has anyone used a component sourced as such and got away with using it?

Thanks in advance

Jase

Hey Jase,

A difficult question to answer on a public forum for obvious reasons but I'd hazard a guess that cars do slip through the net with not all completely new parts.
When I turned up to register my car at the local dvla, they were'nt interested in every single receipt that I presented - although I had them all there, they quickly scanned through major items like body, chassis, engine gearbox and a few others that I forget and gave me back the rest.

So what happens then if you buy a pre owned chassis that was never completed, with paperwork obviously not showing you as the first owner, and that you have modified by adding/subtracting several of the structural components to your particular liking?

Do you need to go back to the chassis manufacturer and ask for new paperwork?

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I got through SVA on a preowned but unfinished car.
I did have the original receipts from DAX for chassis, body and engine. They were in the name of the previous owner and that did not matter when I registered in2006.

They also took the receipt for the gearbox which was purchased from a Renault Garage and the brakes which came from a Saab dealership

As Paul said they selected certain receipts that they copied and stamped

Dax did help by giving a letter confirming what they supplied was new at time of supply. So also speak to your manufacturer they will probably have records regarding the original sale.

Ian

Scott,
There used to be a, not sure if it still exists, a certificate of newness that people could sign when passing things on. I'll try and google it to see if it's still around.

Personally, I have kept all my receipts, bar one, which reminds me, I need to see if Dave Morton is around, as I need a recipt for the AP calipers and discs I got of him new.

Brett

Hi guys.

Thanks for your replies. Not trying to do anything dodgy, just wondering whether I could buy something from someone who bought something new and the DVLA would be happy with that as a new item. Judging by your posts its seems that if you have a letter from the manufacturer or a copy of the invoice the original buyer had then your fine. Looking to buy something of someonewhich is new but he's had it a while and cant find the invoice :(.

Back