Getting RF40 Titled - PA or OH Better?

I am getting close to the point where I can think about titling and registering my Roaring Forties GT40. I recently moved to Pennsylvania but still have a residence in Ohio. In reviewing the rules for both states it appears to me that it is easier in OH. Eventually I would transfer the title to PA.

Do any of you have actual experience getting a self built vehicle registered in either OH or PA? If so, can you offer some feedback on your experience? I noted that OH says you have to have all receipts notarized, even for casual purcahses... I don't have any of my receipts notarized, not even the one for the frame / body. I have a signed bill of sale for that along with the original MCO. I am not sure that there is any value in the notarization and am assuming that this really isn't needed, but then again, this would be some state bureaucrat I would be dealing with. Maybe a few hours in advance with a notary would be time and money well spent.

Any advice or feedback on experience with these two states would be appreciated. Thanks, Bill

Hi Bill I went through this on RF 052 back in May. Go to the local car shows and talk with the Guys with the Street Rods and Specially constructed Vehicles as they will direct you to the shops that cater to these cars There are only 3 choices in the Pittsburgh area Check out the list Here for others near by and talk to there Notary as they can make or break you on this. If you wish to talk to someone ( in Erie ) She did mine and I couldn't be happier as she walked me through the process and I'm on the road ( turned 800 miles today ) Do your homework and this should be painless, But it takes time. As far as the Ohio to PA deal the local shops check out Ohio cars with a FINE tooth Comb , Wally
http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/inspections/enhancedstations.pdf

Last edited:
Wally, thanks for the reply and information on PA. Regarding OH cars moving to PA, are you saying that a properly titled self assembled vehicle from another state coming into PA has to go through the process for titling a vehicle in PA? I would have thought that it would just be a title transfer at that point? Regards, Bill

Wally, thanks for the reply and information on PA. Regarding OH cars moving to PA, are you saying that a properly titled self assembled vehicle from another state coming into PA has to go through the process for titling a vehicle in PA? I would have thought that it would just be a title transfer at that point? Regards, Bill
Every state handles self assembled vehicles differently just about. So, what Ohio requires may not be the same as what PA requires. A simple title transfer is most likely not what will happen. You may not have to go through the full process of re-registering, but you will have to do some work.

Ian

Back