Old style black and silver number plates for q-reg (in UK)

Hi

Just seen a discussion on the locostbuilders site about using black & silver plates on a q reg.

Apparently VOSA have confirmed that it is fine to do so from an MOT point of view.

Useful for anyone with a q-plate wanting more of a period look.

Yet another Q plate question

James

Just read your post and related links. I am surprised by the comments and even the DVLA correspondence. I have always been informed that the type of plate you have is irrelevent. It is the date of registration that is important. I managed to get my GT40 registered in 1994, before SVA came in. It was on a "L" prefix plate. I purchased the white and yellow plates accordingly.

I have since changed to a period plate with an "E" suffix, 65/66 plate. I have fitted Black/Silver plates, but have been informed on a few occassions that they are incorrect as the car was registered in 1994. However, non of the people informing me were either Police or DVLA people. I have never had a problem with the plates at an MOT test. I have never been stopped by the police regarding a problem with the plates.

I did have a problem purchasing them initially as the people I contacted said I needed the White/Yellow plates. However, I soon found someone who made a set for me.

"The law is an ass". As usual.

Regards

Stephen

Back