Kalifornia May Allow Vintage Plates For Our GT40s

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
California Assembly Bill may authorize DMV to issue original style license plates they plan to call Legacy Plates in three different era styles: yellow background with black lettering issued in the 1950s, the black background with yellow lettering issued in the 1960s and the blue background with the yellow lettering issued in the 1970s.

The Bill was introduced and has been visited twice more with amendments. It is popular with the legislative money grabbers. That being said, it will be fun time in the sunshine. A final vote is pending.

Although the new license plates have to comply with current standards, including being reflective, they are sure to appeal to owners of retro-style cars, such as the GT40s and Cobras, just to name a couple.
(c) In addition to the regular fees for an original registration or renewal of registration, the following additional fees shall be paid for the issuance, renewal, or transfer of the specialized license plates: (1) Fifty dollars ($50) for the original issuance of the plates. (2) Forty dollars ($40) for a renewal of registration with the plates. (3) Fifteen dollars ($15) for transfer of the plates to another vehicle. (4) Thirty-five dollars ($35) for each substitute replacement plate.The DMV, however, will not establish the program unless it has received at least 7,500 paid applications for plates before January 1, 2014.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
I wonder how long it will take to accumulate 7,500 paid applications. If I read the DMV site correctly (Q&A) it'll take 9-12 months after implementation to receive Legacy plate. No real incentive to send in $50 prepayment. Might as well wait to see if it gets implemented at all. Then again if everyone thought that assuredly it'll never happen.

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
I wonder how long it will take to accumulate 7,500 paid applications. If I read the DMV site correctly (Q&A) it'll take 9-12 months after implementation to receive Legacy plate. No real incentive to send in $50 prepayment. Might as well wait to see if it gets implemented at all. Then again if everyone thought that assuredly it'll never happen.

You nailed it. It's another example of the government’s inability to take a simple great idea and create a clumsy policy and an unnecessary potential quagmire. That said I'm still very much in favor of the goal.

There's likely a myriad of small trick things one can do to embellish their GT40, but having a REAL ole orange/black license plate would be one of the really kuel and remarkable. Surely, they would refund the money if the attempt failed, but since they’re more desperate for money, maybe not. :thumbsup:

Good friend is a DMV investigator. Legacy plates are going to happen. DMV is trying to think out of the box to generate revenue.

Interesting. I believe 5004.1 was in existence before legacy plates were thought up. My impression is that 5004.1 will be modified to allow the new plates but I'm not sure. I will check and report back.

Here is the real poop, straight from CA DMV:Legislation introduced the California Legacy License Plate program offering vehicle owners the opportunity to purchase replicas of California license plates similar to those issued in the 1950's, 1960's, and 1970's. The program requires a minimum of 7,500 pre-paid applications prior to January 1, 2015.

Legacy License plates can be ordered for any year model automobile, commercial vehicle, motorcycle, or trailer. The Legacy License Plate Program will not replace the current Year of Manufacture (YOM) license plate program.

The DMV is accepting pre-orders until January 1, 2015. A pre-order form California Legacy License Plate Pre-Order Form (REG 17L) (PDF) is available for these plates. The completed form and $50 payment must be mailed to the address provided on the form. Payment can only be made by check, money order, or cashier's check made payable to Department of Motor Vehicles. Pre-orders will NOT be processed at DMV Field offices or Auto Club offices.

Link:DMV
PS, They have over 3000 orders in hand already!

21.175 Year of Manufacture (YOM) License Plates (CVC §5004.1)

Line #5 • Kit cars (SPCNS) of vintage automobiles (for example, a replica of a 1928 vehicle) do not qualify for YOM plates

21.175 Year of Manufacture (YOM) License Plates (CVC §5004.1)

Line #5 • Kit cars (SPCNS) of vintage automobiles (for example, a replica of a 1928 vehicle) do not qualify for YOM plates

How is this relevant to replica kit cars most people on this forum have? Most are from the 60s and 70s and can order black/gold or blue/gold replica plates through the new program I referenced above. They are almost half way to having enough deposits, with around 20 more months to get enough deposits. So, it looks like they will happen, and the sooner there get them, the sooner they start issuing them. That means you will be able to get a new 1950s, 1960s or 1970s (yuck) style plate with either a default sequential number or personalized, even keeping your current custom plate lettering for your car.

Now, if you have a '32 Ford Coupe replica, the best you can get are either the 1950s Yellow/black or 1960s Black/gold, but they're better than current reflector plates. I'm pretty sure my dad's deuce roadster had 1950s yellow/black as he bought/built it in the mid 50s, and would be fitting for the 50s Hot Rod look on a replica. They are available through this new program too.

These plates won't be "real" vintage plates, they will only look the part, but that describes your kit/replica car too, doesn't it? Win, win.

WK/Browning,

Per my interpretation, our vehicles (most all of them, anyway) are exactly what line #5 refers to, ie, specially constructed vehicles.

I think the previous posters have it right, we need not apply.

As others have alluded to, the only real change is that owners of original vehicles will be able to use new replica YOM plates (sanctioned by the DMV), rather than having to try to source a set of original YOM plates, which are getting kinda rare these days.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
For shits and grins I'm going with the attitude WKBrowning is right and give it a whirl, what can they say? No?

Back