Need some URGENT help here folks. FMVSS?

My crate with my GT40 kit is in Houston and the shipper just sent me an "URGENT" email that the federal government is requiring a letter stating how the kit is to be completed to address the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.

Can anyone give me a sample of what their letter looks like? My builder is asleep now (time zone difference) and I want to have a sample of it for them in the morning (there) in case they don't have it ready.

My shipper says this needs to be done today or "the storage charges will be very high".

Ugh...just ugh. :(

These cars don't have to be completed to FMVSS rules- it would be practically impossible.

Sounds like the importer goofed on the paperwork and is trying to import a car, instead of auto parts, or however kits should be imported into the US.

I think we've seen this topic on the board before...maybe a search would yield useful info.

Do you know what box on the declaration SHOULD have been selected?

It has box 9 (The vehicle or equipment item requires further operations to perform its intended function).

These cars don't have to be completed to FMVSS rules- it would be practically impossible.

Sounds like the importer goofed on the paperwork and is trying to import a car, instead of auto parts, or however kits should be imported into the US.

I think we've seen this topic on the board before...maybe a search would yield useful info.

Ron Earp

Admin
Do you know what box on the declaration SHOULD have been selected?

It has box 9 (The vehicle or equipment item requires further operations to perform its intended function).

I think this is part of the problem. The only car I bought in was my old RF car and it was clearly brought in as automobile parts. I know that was a long time ago, but your parts are already a vehicle that that sounds unfriendly. I suspect you'll need to write a letter stating how an engine with cats will be fitted, US spec bumpers, etc.

I think this is part of the problem. The only car I bought in was my old RF car and it was clearly brought in as automobile parts. I know that was a long time ago, but your parts are already a vehicle that that sounds unfriendly. I suspect you'll need to write a letter stating how an engine with cats will be fitted, US spec bumpers, etc.

The shipper is asking customs if we can resubmit as box 8. If so, then no problem, otherwise...ugh (see requirements).

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

Darrin,
As one of the contributors to the article above I think your importer has dropped the ball. It is up to him to fill out the papers properly. If it is already in transit then you have to do it on the fly. That can be nerve racking. You will have to bring it in as a race car if the engine is in the car. If it is out you can bring it in as parts.
If it comes in as a race car that is all you have to do. They say that you have to notify them of any changes but they don't give you any papers for doing that. Once it it is cleared then you should be home free(I think). The feds and local governments don't talk much to each other. Your state just cares about the laws under their jurisdiction. You then enter the maze of getting it registered in your home state. Each state has it's own requirements. Some are simple(Ga.) and some are difficult(Cal.) Call your local tag office and see what they say. They are a good source of information.

Bill

Thanks Bill.

The car is sitting in Houston now so no longer in transit. The importer is claiming the customs lady will charge big bucks if I don't get that documentation to her (storage fees I guess).

There is no engine in it but I am trying to get it changed to show it as a race car. Otherwise they want a document describing what will be done to make it comply with the law. It's a really long list of things they want you to address too.

I just need to get the thing to me...I can deal with TX later. Think it will be fine with the state.

Last edited:
Quick update...

My builder came through with a document for them. Will still try to get this ammended to box 8 but now have a backup and whar they requested. I figure that they just want something on file to check all the boxes at Customs.

you may hope they won't damage stuff while doing that...
hope you have your GT40 soon at your place, good luck.

Update...

Still in limbo. Shipper suggested I use my EIN instead of SSN and Customs cannot find it in their database. I sent them a letter from the IRS proving the EIN I gave them was correct but I still haven't gotten the green light.

What an utter nightmare this has become. Ugh.

Feeling your pain Darrin. While I never experienced your type of issues I have endured many frustrating times with my car that tested my resolve and patience. In the end, as I'm sure it will be in your case, everything worked itself out. Sadly, this may not be the last of the trying times for you. I'll keep my fingers crossed that all goes smoothly from here. Good Fortune to you and lets hope all is sorted for the new year.

Got word a few hours ago. Customs has approved the crate with box 9 checked. Just needed the paperwork my builder supplied. The last stage, delivery from Houston TX to McKinney, TX is to take place Thursday!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Better get some digital film in that camera! :)

Pictures WILL be required! :thumbsup:

Better get some digital film in that camera! :)

Pictures WILL be required! :thumbsup:

Already in the plan! This thing has been a LONG time coming. Just a few more days now. Got the garage all ready for it (epoxy floor, new work table, bender brake, vise, some more tools, sealant and rivnut tool on the way as well).

:)

Back