IVA question on switches

I know this subject has been covered in the forum before but have another option. I am looking at using the standard lucas style toggle switches on the dashboard but thinking about how to make them compliant.

Any thoughts on drilling an extra switch hole at either side of the bank of switches and basically putting a round bar across the front of them so the bar would be basically a "U" shape about 10inches long fixed into the spare holes at eiither end. it would then pass on front of all the switches but still allow you to switch them. the test sphere would not be able to contact the toggle levers and only the round bar? approx 8mm diameter. This would be removed after the IVA and the spare hole filled with switches?

Any thoughts on this as a solution?

cheers

Hi Robin,
I don’t see why your idea wouldn’t work. My only reservation would be that it would have to be quiet wide strip to give the necessary cover to the switches when they are in the on position. It may also seen by the inspector as a clear test fudge. I’d be more tempted to have a separate panel with the switches bunched up to meet the requirements or just add switch radius protector, similar as fitted first generation BMW Mini

Regards,
Andy

Attachments

• BMW Mini switches.jpg
    BMW Mini switches.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 1,254
Same as Andy recommends IMO.

CBS do them, but at £6ea and you need two per switch, it could add up to a bit. I plan on just bending up some spare brake pipe and then doing a similar thing

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I have seen someone else here or on another forum that used small drawer pull handles as the protective hoops and it looked quite good actually. Another thing you may try would be large diameter, yet thin, fender washers that were bent to provide the radius and the switch retaining nut would hold that in place.
I do like the look of that panel that Andy has shown above.

Hi Guy's

Just wonderinhg what would be involved in using the BMW mini switches till the dash is upgraded?!

As any one had any experince with these?

Drew

Back