Rear upright testing for compliance; who has had it done?

Hi,

Has anyone in Australia had their purchased or custom uprights tested as part of compliance? I was speaking with a chap from the hot rodding community at a car show and he was saying allot of the imported hotrod suspension items from USA were failing testing. This is in South Australia. These were mainly cast drop spindles and suspension arms etc
If so how did they test the uprights and do you know what the strength requirements are?
Cheers

If you were to use uprights of a complianced car (OEM) would that not get around that issue as it was done by the original manufacturer.
If they are cast that maybe the issue, to my knowledge they should be forged,cast will brake.

When I registered my car they never questioned it, maybe I got lucky.

Jim

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Well ! I have to say the DRB rear uprights are cast Al.and T6 treated ,they've been in service for at least 15 years with no issues to my knowledge -- they are bullet proof -- the only weak link is the rose joints used (spherical bearing link) or the wheel bearing carrier .
That said --actual testing , I don't know -- PR of DRB is a Qualified Engineer and should be able to verify any queries

I have seen components tested in a jig.
The load was worked out by calculation.
The component was loaded in a press with a pressure gauge and dial gauges where used to measure deflection.
If it is fabricated I would think a penitration report on welds.

Cad system would do the same.

Jim

Back