http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/M1 IVA Inspection Manual.pdf

One bit that I think may bite a few people is Section 18 Note 12

Note 12: Where the ‘stamped in VIN’ is stamped on to a separate
metal plate it must be secured to the frame by a continuous seam weld
around the entire length of the plate; tack or spot welding should not be
considered an appropriate method of attachment for such a plate. To
stamp the number into a tubular chassis member is not always practical
but there may be instances where it could be stamped in another similar
part of the vehicle structure which is not easily removable.

Previously VIN plates need to be "not easily removable" now any separate plate must be fully seam welded to comply. I know my VIN plate is separate and I was just going to rivet it on. Looks like going to have to stamp it to the chassis itself. I suspect I'm not the only one this will affect.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
You may be surprised to know that small dabs of JB Weld epoxy, properly lain down as a stack of dimes pushed over, looks quite convincing as a proper weldment once painted..

Not that I would ever condone such an activity..

That was my intention.

It's not a big problem but something easily solved at an early stage of build that could otherwise be an annoying (and easily avoided) failure which is why I thought to mention it.

As yet I haven't... Not too much of the tube "chassis" going to be exposed when I've finished panelling so probably in the door area.

Probably also going to stamp it in a few places though.

Thats why i was asking, i think the only chassis exposed on mine will be the rear face of the horseshoe !

Other than that i am struggling to think of a suitable loaction.

Andrew

May not be relavent to with your chassis but my VIN is stamped on the front cross member directly below the toy GT40 in this picture, the alloy panel shown is removable as it allows access for removing the rack, brake unions/switch and horn etc... So not exactly visible but the panel won't be installed for IVA and can be removed in seconds if required.

very nice paul. what master cylinders have you used ?
Thats a dinky battery. i am planning to put mine there also, one one are you planning ?

Andrew

Master cylinders are just Girling style ones avaiable from CBS and the battery will be an Oydessy PC1100, nice and compact as you say, trying to keep it looking as minimal up front as I can, hopefully performs as well as it looks...

Back