Insurance coverage

In the process of wrapping the deal on my 06 Tungsten GT and looking for insurance. Currently have Heacock for my Shelby's and other collector cars but was unsatisfied with their quote for the GT. Any recommendations?

I checked a number of sources and ended up with Hagerty, primarily on cost and levels of coverage I needed. They wanted to cover mine as a 2002 built Ford GT40 replica for my stated value. The only difficulty that presents is that my GT40 is titled and registered in Michigan as a 1966 Ford Two Door. Hopefully won't ever be cause for concern as the VIN number as registered is what is on the cars detail plate and also on the certificate of insurance coverage. Good luck in your search!

Glenn B.

Lifetime Supporter
I have coverage from classic collectors.com. Very reasonable. "0" deductible comprehensive for windscreens and the like, plus a 24/7 roadside assistance plan if your car flames out or gets a flat. The policy holder is Infinity.

Thanks for the input guys, I found my existing AAA policy to be the best value. The Ford GT was actually less premium than my 18 year olds 2001 Chevy PU. If AAA only knew I was a higher risk than my son!

Bought a CAV GT40 in February and initially insured the car with American Collectors out of New Jersey. Premium was very high so I shopped around and got a very good policy from a company called Northwest Classic Car Insurance in Snohomish WA. They represent the Infinity Group and provided a great price for my three collectables.

I'm located in Arizona, but was willing to shop around to get the best price.

I have had JC taylor with great results on a windshield claim on an XKE. I now have American Modern through USAA. I hated to change, but had to to be covered with my umbrella policy.

I had trouble getting a decent quote from Grundig, Heacogk and Haggerty. As soon as I told them it was a replica the rates doubled even though my car is registered in Calif. as "first sold in 1965" and first registered in Calif. in 1990. I was told that once classified as an SPCN, they didn't care how old the car was and that is what raised the rate. I ended up with a policy from Infinity thru Northwest Classic.

My vote is to forget the classics in the insurance industry. Try your own auto/home policy. You may be surprised that they will give you a quote lower than the mainstays. I have AMICA and have my house and cars with them. They wanted to research the car. I told them it was hard to find because there are so few of them, and the fact that I imported it from Australia didn't hurt either. Told them I would be doing all the work on the car including any damage to it. My quote came in lower than my 8 year old truck. Same for the tag as well.

Bill

Back