How do I import a kit from UK to Florida

Looking to import a Lister Bell Stratos. Never done anything like this before. They recommended doing the car separately from the motor/drivetrain. How does one do all this to get it from the UK to Florida? And once registered in Florida is it easy or difficult to register the car if I move to another state?

Steve,
Check out some of the Cobra sites like this:
Easy Steps to Title in Florida. FFR5310RD is Legal! - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

I'm not familiar with Florida registration, but these guys can help you out. Yes you want to buy the chassis kit separate from the drivetrain to avoid emission and crash standards. It appears that you want to register as a replica and not as a kit in Florida. Most important get an MSO (or MCO) from the chassis manufacturer. At first dealing with these issues seems daunting, but many states have replica laws now that ease the process. Finally if you get a pre 1975 Florida title you can usually transfer that if you move to another state (California excepted). Have fun with your Lister.

It should be no problem for the importation part - I was LB's first US customer in 2011 and I know of one other this year. LB are well familiar with the process, crating requirements, required paperwork including MSO, shipping agents, etc - you'll just need to make sure you have a broker lined up on your end to handle customs clearance, etc

Can't help with Florida registration but Dave above has addressed that aspect.

Regards
Paul

Last edited:
Back