Canadian import law

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Im still at it, 40 on the brain, but Im not confident that a car can be registered in Canada. Will a large box of parts in one shipment ( less engine and trans ) qualify as a parts shipment or a car. Im aware their are several in Canada. could some one pass on their expert opinion on the subject.

Bill

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Bill,

This thread has a lot of useful information on Canadian kit car laws;

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-tech-registration-sva-insurance/23860-canadian-kit-car-laws.html

Are you looking to build or import already built? The latter requires a car that is at least 15 years old. The former if I recall correctly requires parts from at least 3 different sources, but I believe Fran is getting RCR 40's in, perhaps CAV still too, although I think the CAV rep went under judging from other posts here.

If it's an older kit to import I am putting the finishing touches on an interior refit of a KVA GT40 prior to offering for sale. It was first registered in 1995 and should be eligible for import to Canada.

Julian

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Bill,

As you know Canada does not allow "kit cars" or "rollers" but does allow "starter kits" to be purchased and registered.

We have imported with Transport Canada approval a GT40 "starter kit" and have sources for the balance of the parts required to complete a Superformance GT40.

It is neither easy nor cheap compared to the US roller model but it can be done.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
We also have absolutely no issues with Canada. either...being close to the border makes it even easier for our customers.

Back