Registering GT40 in New York state

Renato

Lifetime Supporter
I'm looking for feedback on experiences during the registration process of your GT40. I have all of DMV documents and they are somewhat clear and complete but would like to hear what kind of issues did people have during registration. Actually, it can be any kit/homebuilt car because the process would be the same.

Thanks,
Renato

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
It will be registered as a "custom" until such time as NY adopts the SEMA bill. We are lobbying for the bill but NY has some bigger priorities (like fleecing us for EVERY tax penny!).

The process is not hard but will take a few weeks. Be straight with the DMV people in Albany and you will not have a problem. If they think you are trying to shine them on, YOU will have a problem. We have a smooth process with all of the cars we have helped customers with.

I can tell you a horror story of a guy who bought a car out of state and got pissy with the DMV people. Just like an airline agent, if you are a jerk, you WILL pay!!!!! (i.e.; your luggage goes to Bombay even if you are flying to Peoria.)

Renato

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Rick,

Thanks so much for the info.
Does the Superformance have cats? I'm putting a Coyote in mine and the way I'm reading the regulations I need cats, mufflers and all other stuff that have to do with the emissions. Not sure if I can do all that.
I would like to register the car as a 1966 GT40 and don't think that will be a problem but the engine requirements are dependent by manufacture year.

Regards,
Renato

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Hi Rick,

Thanks so much for the info.
Does the Superformance have cats? I'm putting a Coyote in mine and the way I'm reading the regulations I need cats, mufflers and all other stuff that have to do with the emissions. Not sure if I can do all that.
I would like to register the car as a 1966 GT40 and don't think that will be a problem but the engine requirements are dependent by manufacture year.

Regards,
Renato

You will not get a "1966 GT40" registration in NY until we get the SEMA bill passed. You will be a "2014 Custom"

A Superformance may or may not have cats depending upon what the owner/installer does and choice of engine. As you are using a current type engine NY will want full emissions equipment. When you use an older powerplant they want the level of that era, i.e. a 1966 289 needs a PCV system.

Renato

Lifetime Supporter
Ahh... I was hoping that I can do 1966 GT40...

Did you ever register a Coyote powered Superformance in NY state? If so, what equipment did they require? By full emissions equipment do you mean cats and mufflers or more? I have the regular control pack from Ford Racing that has O2 sensors. They are regular pre cat O2 (or no cat), nothing for after cats to actually monitor the cat's efficiency.

Renato

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
We have not done a Coyote powered car in New York. You might want to check with Jay at Vintage Motorsports (Backdraft) as I think they have done a 5.0 Coyote in a BDR in NY.

Renato

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for all the info Rick.

Found some good information on Factory Five forum. They have a similar situation and few guys are putting Coyotes in their cars. If anybody needs the info I'll post it.

Renato

Back