GT40s.com
MK-I  MK-II  MK-III  MK-IV  GULF  MIRAGE  J-CAR  LOLA
GT40s.com
Home Forum Gallery Support GT40s.com  
Register FAQ Advertisers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GT40s.com > >

Notices

GT40 Tech - Registration / SVA / Insurance Getting your GT40 on the road!

Old 1st January 2016, 10:04 AM   #1
Oslo

GT40: KVA
Post KVA VIN number?

Hi guys, I'm in the process of buying a KVA project thats nearly complete. Do you know if the KVA chassis have a VIN stamped someplace?

It's a type C chassis
Oslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2016, 10:45 AM   #2
john_douglass
Bronze Supporter
United States

Re: KVA VIN number?

Mine is on the driver's side rear frame - just behind the coil spring - it's on top of the rail.
Good Luck!

Post some pictures of your KVA.
John
john_douglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2016, 09:12 PM   #3
Oslo

Thanks John. I'm just not sure how this kitcar stuff works, did KVA put VINs on all the chassis they made or did they just make up a number that they liked? If I register the car in norway Im pretty sure it will be registered as a 2016 car and I'll have to pay at least 40.000$ tax. If it registers as a 1996 (kit age) then it'l be just 10.000$ and if 1966 then no tax cause it'll be a veteran/classic

Norwegian tax rules are killing me. If I can register it in sweden or england as a 1996 or 1966 I'll buy it. If not, its just too expensive
Old 2nd January 2016, 09:25 PM   #4
Oslo

#004 FORD GT40 “1966” - Benzina - Vintage Car Finder
Old 3rd January 2016, 07:56 AM   #5
john_douglass
Bronze Supporter
United States

I bought mine from a seller in the US and it came with a bill of sale listing the VIN # and a certificate of origin. See if your seller has this info!

Old 3rd January 2016, 11:43 AM   #6
MikeP
Silver Supporter
United Kingdom

GT40: GTD

Hi Ole,
The car in the pics does not look like a KVA C type chassis to me unless it has been modified. I have attached some pics of KVA C type chassis so you can compare them. I have also attached a pic of KVA Mk1 chassis which used a complete Cortina Mk3 axle assembly at the front and a fabricated swinging arm setup at the rear. This was not the best setup and a lot different to the original suspension on the GT40 so many people modified them with their own double wishbone front and trailing link/reversed lower wishbone rear suspension.
If it is a KVA chassis then it has to be quite old as the last ones were built by GTD before they produced their own chassis.
Hope this helps if you can't trace it back through previous owners.
Cheers
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
KVA VIN number?-kva-mk1-cortina-mk3-front-axle-assy-jpg   KVA VIN number?-kva-c-type-front-jpg   KVA VIN number?-kva-c-type-rear-jpg   KVA VIN number?-kva-c-type-jpg  
Attached Images
File Type: bmp KVA C type front 2.bmp (900.1 KB, 52 views)
MikeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2016, 11:50 AM   #7
MikeP
Silver Supporter
United Kingdom

GT40: GTD

These magazine pages may be of interest to you.
Cheers
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
KVA VIN number?-kva-mag-scan-1-jpg   KVA VIN number?-kva-mag-scan-2-jpg   KVA VIN number?-kva-mag-scan-3-jpg   KVA VIN number?-kva-mag-scan-4-jpg  
MikeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2016, 02:04 PM   #8
Joules5
Lifetime Premier Supporter
United States

GT40: ERA MK1 Gulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_douglass View Post
I bought mine from a seller in the US and it came with a bill of sale listing the VIN # and a certificate of origin. See if your seller has this info!

I am not familiar with Norwegian requirements, but it would strike me that if you wish to register this as an older build then it would likely require either a title of prior registration or MSO (certificate of origin) to prove age.

Julian
ERA Gulf GT40 #2041
Pantera's '81 GT5 & '74 L
Swift 008 Formula Atlantic
Ultima CanAm
Joules5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2016, 06:39 AM   #9
john_douglass
Bronze Supporter
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joules5 View Post
I am not familiar with Norwegian requirements, but it would strike me that if you wish to register this as an older build then it would likely require either a title of prior registration or MSO (certificate of origin) to prove age.

Julian
Julian,

What kind of transaxle go you have in your KVA?

John
Old 5th January 2016, 04:49 PM   #10
Joules5
Lifetime Premier Supporter
United States

GT40: ERA MK1 Gulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_douglass View Post
Julian,

What kind of transaxle go you have in your KVA?

John
John,

I sold the KVA (it was actually a Sabre/Integrity Coachworks) not long after acquiring the ERA. It had a Porsche 901 transaxle with race hardened gears. I have a Kitcar Magazine feature here from 1997 along with copies of all the Integrity literature but it seems it is too big to upload, I'll have to work to split it out to single pages.

Julian
ERA Gulf GT40 #2041
Pantera's '81 GT5 & '74 L
Swift 008 Formula Atlantic
Ultima CanAm
Joules5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2016, 05:57 PM   #11
Oslo

Thanks alot to all you guys for the input! It seems I will have to let this one go. I see replicas with licence plates for sale now and then, though much more expensive, It'll have to be one of those because of the rules and taxes we have here...
Old 6th January 2016, 07:04 AM   #12
john_douglass
Bronze Supporter
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joules5 View Post
John,

I sold the KVA (it was actually a Sabre/Integrity Coachworks) not long after acquiring the ERA. It had a Porsche 901 transaxle with race hardened gears. I have a Kitcar Magazine feature here from 1997 along with copies of all the Integrity literature but it seems it is too big to upload, I'll have to work to split it out to single pages.

Julian
Thanks Julian, mine is a KVA by Sabre/Integrity Coachworks also - I have a Porsche 930 transaxle. Some Porsche transaxles are quite tough!

Do you like the ERA more than the Sabre?

John
Old 6th January 2016, 11:17 AM   #13
bune
Bronze Supporter
Norway

GT40: monocoque gt40

Sorry for using Norwegian here
Hei undersøk om du kan få registrert den som kit car, det betyr at du må demontere alt og bygge opp igjen på ny etter de nye reglene om selvbygging av bil. Send meg en melding hvis du er interessert.

Rune.
Old 9th January 2016, 08:01 PM   #14
airborn
Rookie
Norway

GT40: GTD/CAV MK1b

Hi

I am doing what Rune sayed. Its not easy, but maybe I can help.
Is your build finished soon Rune?

send me a PM
airborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2016, 04:22 PM   #15
bune
Bronze Supporter
Norway

GT40: monocoque gt40

Nei jeg er ikke ferdig, men jeg bygger i tett kontakt med biltilsynet og de er fornøyd så langt.
Rune
Old 10th January 2016, 04:23 PM   #16
Oslo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bune View Post
Sorry for using Norwegian here
Hei undersøk om du kan få registrert den som kit car, det betyr at du må demontere alt og bygge opp igjen på ny etter de nye reglene om selvbygging av bil. Send meg en melding hvis du er interessert.

Rune.
Hei Rune, jeg kjenner til reglene, men det virker som ingen helt vet hva slags avgifter som tilfaller når bilen skal registreres!

Holder du til i Oslo?
Old 11th January 2016, 08:27 PM   #17
jaspertony
Rookie
United Kingdom

GT40: KVA mk1 type c

Hi Ole,

My KVA chassis was built in 1992, and was the last one made before Ken closed for business.

It came with no vin# at all. Not only that, I had no receipt, in fact no paperwork at all.

I stamped my own Vin #, as there was no way to get a Vin from a company which had ceased trading. I also believe that KVA did not export to the USA, so I have no idea what Vin they have in the USA.

A Swiss friend was having trouble registering his car, so he brought it to the UK, went through the UK test and registration procedure, then drove it home as a personal import.

A Dutch friend drove his car to France for registration. The French were so confused by their own regulations that he ended up getting it registered there when it became a personal feud between to warring bureaucrats.

The moral of the story is, there is always a way when you have the need, as long as the car is roadworthy.
Tony.
Old 12th January 2016, 03:17 AM   #18
Oslo

thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspertony View Post
Hi Ole,

My KVA chassis was built in 1992, and was the last one made before Ken closed for business.

It came with no vin# at all. Not only that, I had no receipt, in fact no paperwork at all.

I stamped my own Vin #, as there was no way to get a Vin from a company which had ceased trading. I also believe that KVA did not export to the USA, so I have no idea what Vin they have in the USA.

A Swiss friend was having trouble registering his car, so he brought it to the UK, went through the UK test and registration procedure, then drove it home as a personal import.

A Dutch friend drove his car to France for registration. The French were so confused by their own regulations that he ended up getting it registered there when it became a personal feud between to warring bureaucrats.

The moral of the story is, there is always a way when you have the need, as long as the car is roadworthy.
Tony.