Recent changes to Canadian Import Laws

Looks like so changes have been made to the Canadian Import Laws that no longer allow bringing in a kit car assembled or complete.

Section 2.0 - ----- General ----- Vehicles older than 15 years old Buses manufactured prior to Jan. 1, 1971 Trailers with a GVWR less than 4536 kg (10,000lbs) Trucks manufactured prior to Sept. 1, 2007 Trucks with a GVWR greater than 4536 kg (10,000l

Not sure how this affects people wanting any car through RCR.

Would we have to buy through a Canadian dealer at that point?

Thanks

-Bob

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
I was under the impression that was always the case (except for anything older than 15 years first registered and exempt) with an unassembled kit car being deemed an multiple suppliers and importing at different dates.

Julian

Looks like so changes have been made to the Canadian Import Laws that no longer allow bringing in a kit car assembled or complete.

Section 2.0 - ----- General ----- Vehicles older than 15 years old Buses manufactured prior to Jan. 1, 1971 Trailers with a GVWR less than 4536 kg (10,000lbs) Trucks manufactured prior to Sept. 1, 2007 Trucks with a GVWR greater than 4536 kg (10,000l

Not sure how this affects people wanting any car through RCR.

Would we have to buy through a Canadian dealer at that point?

Thanks

-Bob

I think you might have misread the table. I don't see any change; that is, kit cars less than 15 years old are still inadmissible and kit cars 15 yrs or older are still admissible.

Kit Cars LESS THAN FIFTEEN (15) YEARS OLD (assembled or unassembled)
None are admissible

All vehicles (except buses) FIFTEEN (15) YEARS OLD OR OLDER
All are admissible (see notes)
The importer is responsible for providing adequate proof to border officials of a vehicle's non-regulated status due to its age.

Isn't the change that UNASSEMBLED kit cars < 15yrs are not admissible?

I think you might have misread the table. I don't see any change; that is, kit cars less than 15 years old are still inadmissible and kit cars 15 yrs or older are still admissible.
Kit Cars LESS THAN FIFTEEN (15) YEARS OLD (assembled or unassembled)
None are admissible

Isn't the change that UNASSEMBLED kit cars < 15yrs are not admissible?

No, I believe that's the same as before.

The issue has to do with whether the kit imported is deemed to be an unassembled motor vehicle. If so, it must meet and be certified to federal safety standards to be allowed in.

On the other hand, if it's deemed to be a "starter kit" -- that is, a collection of parts -- then it can be imported. This is the path that Factory Five Racing has taken with its kits (i.e., delete just enough parts so that the product is considered a "starter kit").

No, I believe that's the same as before.

The issue has to do with whether the kit imported is deemed to be an unassembled motor vehicle. If so, it must meet and be certified to federal safety standards to be allowed in.

On the other hand, if it's deemed to be a "starter kit" -- that is, a collection of parts -- then it can be imported. This is the path that Factory Five Racing has taken with its kits (i.e., delete just enough parts so that the product is considered a "starter kit").

then I guess nothing's changed?

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Not all of them but a large enough percentage to make life so much easier for our Northern friends...or Southern depending where in Canada they may be...

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Ontario is phasing in some new regulations that while not aimed at the kit car model, will make it much more difficult to register a kit.

You may need ABS and some other electronic nannies to register in Ontario.

Back