UK Registration, "As New"

Just thinking ahead here...

The UK DVLA states that for a reconditioned part (in my case the engine) "you can show that the part has been reconditioned to an ‘as new’ standard, in line with the manufacturer’s guidelines".

I've just bought a 302, but it has Aluminium heads and an Edelbrock carb and inlet manifold. Presumably I'll need to remove these and revert it back to cast heads?

Does anyone know what else I'd need to prove that it's in line with the manufacturer’s guidelines? Anyone else had this problem? Are there engine shops that will recondition it to new and provide a certificate?

Thanks,
Matt

Hi Matt, p
Personally I would not get too hung up on replicating the Ford spec. using standard Ford parts. You will be fine if you use new quality aftermarket parts that fit around a Ford block. The date of the engine is determined by the block and it is quite reasonable to assume that an old block will have new parts fitted to maintain it in 'as new' condition.
You won't need an engineering certificate but two important things when you come to IVA and registration is to have invoices for the parts and to present the car in an impeccable fashion that gives the examiner plenty of confidence that the car has been assembled in a workmanlike and safe way.
Cheers
Roger Allen

Many thanks for the replies.

It looks like I'll be okay with new heads then. Just don't want to get the registration wrong and end up with a Q plate; at least withe the IVA you can have more than one attempt...

Cheers,
Matthew

Hi Matthew ...... the important thing is to get an engine dating certificate as that determines the emission levels the engine will be tested to. Roadcraft did the work on my 302 (basically a new engine in old castings !!!! ) and provided a dating certificate. You'll also need this in the future when it comes to MOT tests. I presume the Edelbrock carb is a Holley 4 barrell equivalent ....... if jetted correctly that will be ok. If you fit Webber IDA's then it will be very difficult get through emissions.

Hi Matthew ...... the important thing is to get an engine dating certificate as that determines the emission levels the engine will be tested to. Roadcraft did the work on my 302 (basically a new engine in old castings !!!! ) and provided a dating certificate. You'll also need this in the future when it comes to MOT tests. I presume the Edelbrock carb is a Holley 4 barrell equivalent ....... if jetted correctly that will be ok. If you fit Webber IDA's then it will be very difficult get through emissions.

Even with all the correct paperwork there may be issues, although to be fair DVLA have been very helpful and are looking into the situation, so all should be OK in the end.

I had an engine dating cert, IVA test cert with emissions N/A but my initial euphoria at getting a V5 today turned to horror when I noticed the 2nd entry in the notes section. I also have quad IDA's so I need to get it changed.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    405.3 KB · Views: 785
Even with all the correct paperwork there may be issues, although to be fair DVLA have been very helpful and are looking into the situation, so all should be OK in the end.

I had an engine dating cert, IVA test cert with emissions N/A but my initial euphoria at getting a V5 today turned to horror when I noticed the 2nd entry in the notes section. I also have quad IDA's so I need to get it changed.

Hi Nick, before I send off my certification is there anything in particular I need to be aware of?

Hi Nick, before I send off my certification is there anything in particular I need to be aware of?

Hi Mark,

Just send in the information they requested, I had no issue until the V5 came back with the wrong figures for emissions checks, i.e. because of the age of my engine block it should have been marked as visual test only in the special notes section of the V5 but instead was marked with HC figures which it would never have met. It was then just a matter of opening a case with VOSA sending all the info and and getting the V5 changed with the correct notes added.

I would also advise making a copy of any info you send, only send originals if required, its a real shame they make you send back the IVA pass certificate it is a nice document (in my opinion :) )

I am with you regarding VOSA DVLA and IVA test officials in the North, they were all really helpful and just doing their jobs.

Back