GT40s.com
MK-I  MK-II  MK-III  MK-IV  GULF  MIRAGE  J-CAR  LOLA
GT40s.com
Home Forum Gallery Support GT40s.com  
Register FAQ Advertisers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GT40s.com > >

Notices

GT40 Tech - Registration / SVA / Insurance Getting your GT40 on the road!

Old 20th July 2017, 03:36 AM   #1
Matthew Kent
United Kingdom

GT40: RCR MK1
Post UK Registration, "As New"

Just thinking ahead here...

The UK DVLA states that for a reconditioned part (in my case the engine) "you can show that the part has been reconditioned to an ‘as new’ standard, in line with the manufacturer’s guidelines".

I've just bought a 302, but it has Aluminium heads and an Edelbrock carb and inlet manifold. Presumably I'll need to remove these and revert it back to cast heads?

Does anyone know what else I'd need to prove that it's in line with the manufacturer’s guidelines? Anyone else had this problem? Are there engine shops that will recondition it to new and provide a certificate?

Thanks,
Matt
Matthew Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2017, 05:17 PM   #2
A Tenth
United Kingdom

GT40: Essex, UK
Re: UK Registration, "As New"

Hi Matt, p
Personally I would not get too hung up on replicating the Ford spec. using standard Ford parts. You will be fine if you use new quality aftermarket parts that fit around a Ford block. The date of the engine is determined by the block and it is quite reasonable to assume that an old block will have new parts fitted to maintain it in 'as new' condition.
You won't need an engineering certificate but two important things when you come to IVA and registration is to have invoices for the parts and to present the car in an impeccable fashion that gives the examiner plenty of confidence that the car has been assembled in a workmanlike and safe way.
Cheers
Roger Allen
Roger Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2017, 03:02 AM   #3
MikeP
Gold Supporter
United Kingdom

GT40: GTD

Info on this thread.
Post 75 302

Cheers
Mike
MikeP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2017, 11:20 AM   #4
Matthew Kent
United Kingdom

GT40: RCR MK1

Many thanks for the replies.

It looks like I'll be okay with new heads then. Just don't want to get the registration wrong and end up with a Q plate; at least withe the IVA you can have more than one attempt...

Cheers,
Matthew
Matthew Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2017, 05:10 PM   #5
Chris Edwards
3 Tenths
United Kingdom

GT40: Did Once

I'm no expert but I've always understood 'as new ' to meant just that 'as new', NOT 'as original'.
Old 31st July 2017, 04:47 PM   #6
Steve Dean
Rookie
United Kingdom

GT40: MDA Mk1

Hi Matthew ...... the important thing is to get an engine dating certificate as that determines the emission levels the engine will be tested to. Roadcraft did the work on my 302 (basically a new engine in old castings !!!! ) and provided a dating certificate. You'll also need this in the future when it comes to MOT tests. I presume the Edelbrock carb is a Holley 4 barrell equivalent ....... if jetted correctly that will be ok. If you fit Webber IDA's then it will be very difficult get through emissions.
Steve Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2017, 06:52 PM   #7
Nick Brough
Bronze Supporter
United Kingdom

GT40: SGT 351W G50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dean View Post
Hi Matthew ...... the important thing is to get an engine dating certificate as that determines the emission levels the engine will be tested to. Roadcraft did the work on my 302 (basically a new engine in old castings !!!! ) and provided a dating certificate. You'll also need this in the future when it comes to MOT tests. I presume the Edelbrock carb is a Holley 4 barrell equivalent ....... if jetted correctly that will be ok. If you fit Webber IDA's then it will be very difficult get through emissions.
Even with all the correct paperwork there may be issues, although to be fair DVLA have been very helpful and are looking into the situation, so all should be OK in the end.

I had an engine dating cert, IVA test cert with emissions N/A but my initial euphoria at getting a V5 today turned to horror when I noticed the 2nd entry in the notes section. I also have quad IDA's so I need to get it changed.
Attached Thumbnails
UK Registration, "As New"-002-jpg  

Tags
engine, guidelines, heads, line, manufacturer’s