Hi All just thought I would let you know . I am taking my 40 for MOT on Friday . She is insured and its our 1st outing on the road . So looking forward tour 1st outing getting a bit excited really ...

So wish me luck all . Will let you all know how it goes ......

John...

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Thread moved to appropriate area...
Good luck!!!

Hi John,
Do you mean MOT or IVA, as there is a huge difference in the level of inspection that is carried out. An IVA certificate is required to obtain a registration document, or are you putting it through an MOT to set up the lights & brakes
Anyway, which ever test it is, good luck

Regards,
Andy

Thanks Randy m8 ....

Andy yes you are right MOT get lights set ... get tracking done ... and a good check over .. Then IVA ..........

John...

Hi Paul m8 ............ No tax ... as long as you have an appointment booked you can drive it to and from test centre . you cant drive it about ... just there and back ... Still should be brilliant ....

John..

Hi Paul m8 ............ No tax ... as long as you have an appointment booked you can drive it to and from test centre . you cant drive it about ... just there and back ... Still should be brilliant ....

John..
Excellent, enjoy... I feel lots of MOT's will be getting booked for my car ;)

John,
Are you sure you can do that? Just interested that is all.

I understood you can drive to a test, but if it fails then you can't drive it back.

Also, our/your car has not technically passed homologation, in this case IVA, so it could be argued it should not be on the road. If you need to, I have a few friends with trailers.

Brett

As I understand it you can drive a car to and from a pre arranged MOT test even if it fails as long as any failures are not considered by the tester to make the car to dangerous to drive.

I believe you can also insure an unregistered car on the chassis number, answer 3 may also help.

5 things our customers ask us about MOT - Matters of Testing

Finally, John, the very best of luck on Friday it's a win win situation for you. if it passes everything fantastic, if it doesn't brilliant as you will have a small list of things to rectify :)

Just for clarification from the gov website: Getting an MOT: MOT test result - GOV.UK

Driving a vehicle that’s failed
You can take your vehicle away if your MOT certificate is still valid.

If your MOT has run out you can take your vehicle to:

have the failed defects fixed
a pre-arranged MOT test appointment
In both cases, your vehicle still needs to meet the minimum standards of roadworthiness at all times or you can be fined.

You can be fined up to £2,500, be banned from driving and get 3 penalty points for driving a vehicle in a dangerous condition.

Hopefully everything will be OK John and good luck.

Brett

Thank you Nick m8 .
Brett When I SVAd my Cobra . It was insured on the Chassis number same as my 40 . I drove it from Clacton to Chelmsford test centre with no problem . I'm taking it to a garage that is quite close to me about 3 miles . Fingers crossed all will be well ... Its not actually an MOT ,,, But a Pre MOT check .

Thanks guys . All helpful as usual ..... Awesome site this is ...

Well I took my 40 for Pre MOT check to day and all good ....................... Only thing I have to do is refit drivers side Headlight mounting ..... Couldn't adjust it enough .... So all in all very happy with the out come ........... And driving her round to the garage was Awesome 1st time on the road ,,,,, That exhaust note was unbelievable Loved it worth the wait ...

Well done John, you're nearly there. I known when I first drove mine, I couldn't get rid of a stupid grin for ages...
Rgds,
Andy

Back