GT40s.com
MK-I  MK-II  MK-III  MK-IV  GULF  MIRAGE  J-CAR  LOLA
GT40s.com
Home Forum Gallery Support GT40s.com  
Register FAQ Advertisers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GT40s.com > >

Notices

GT40 Tech - Registration / SVA / Insurance Getting your GT40 on the road!

Old 31st January 2018, 05:24 AM   #1
Tom
westski_2000
Rookie
United Kingdom

GT40: Scratch mono
Side windows and IVA

Hi All,
My car is approaching IVA stage and I have a question about side windows.
I have heard that you now must have the side windows installed for the IVA test and the windows themselves must have compliance markings. Does anyone know where to get side windows from with the correct compliance markings?
Would an easier way to get round the problem be to fit wind deflectors and claim that windows will not ever be installed?
The other problem this causes is the wing mirrors - I understand these must be adjustable from inside the car... Will electric adjustable wing mirrors have to be fitted for the test?
Thanks all,
Tom
westski_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2018, 09:34 AM   #2
Steve Dean
Rookie
United Kingdom

GT40: MDA Mk1
Re: Side windows and IVA

Tom, the current position is ...... you must state that the car WILL NOT ever have side windows fitted and there must be no fittings/fixtures in place that indicate that windows will ever be fitted. If you fit side windows they must have the appropriate markings on the glass ( I don't know of any source for these). The mirrors must be adjustable from the driving position. As the N/S mirror cannot be reached then this needs to be remotely controllable. Also be careful with the interior rear view mirror ...... a contributor to this forum has just had his car fail because the interior mirror vibrated. All mirrors need to be fully IVA compliant.
The windscreen and rear window must be glass with correct marking. The rear window cannot be perspex.
I recommend you talk to Andy Sheldon at Tornado or Mick Sollis at Southern GT as they both regularly submit customer cars for test and will be fully up to date with the latest test requirements.
Steve Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2018, 10:39 AM   #3
Nick Brough
Bronze Supporter
United Kingdom

GT40: SGT 351W G50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dean View Post
Tom, the current position is ...... you must state that the car WILL NOT ever have side windows fitted and there must be no fittings/fixtures in place that indicate that windows will ever be fitted. If you fit side windows they must have the appropriate markings on the glass ( I don't know of any source for these). The mirrors must be adjustable from the driving position. As the N/S mirror cannot be reached then this needs to be remotely controllable. Also be careful with the interior rear view mirror ...... a contributor to this forum has just had his car fail because the interior mirror vibrated. All mirrors need to be fully IVA compliant.
The windscreen and rear window must be glass with correct marking. The rear window cannot be perspex.
I recommend you talk to Andy Sheldon at Tornado or Mick Sollis at Southern GT as they both regularly submit customer cars for test and will be fully up to date with the latest test requirements.
Steve,

I put my SGT through IVA last March to June, at that time only the drivers side mirror needed to be adjustable from the driving position, I had no side windows fitted, and I did not have to state they would never be fitted.

I don't think I was just lucky and am not aware that the rules have changed since then.
Old 31st January 2018, 12:18 PM   #4
Steve Dean
Rookie
United Kingdom

Hi Nick ..... the point I was trying to get across to Tom, was that if you are asked if you are going to fit side windows and you answer yes, then it will result in a fail because they are not fitted at the time of test.
Some clarity on the mirror issue would be good. My understanding is that both mirrors have to be adjustable from the drivers position. If someone has a current IVA manual it would be good if they can appraise us on the current wording.
As you are probably aware the IVA requirements are constantly being revised and test centres are not consistent in their interpretations.
It is good that we all share information & experiences as currently there are a lot of cars in-build. Also there are a number of people trying to complete very old kits (KVA etc) and these now represent quite a challenge from an IVA stand point. Recently I showed a guy ( who's trying to complete an old kit) round my car and I pointed to loads of things to which he said 'good', "mines just like that". To which I replied, 'bad', cos that's now a fail.
He was staggered and somewhat disheartened.
Old 31st January 2018, 01:32 PM   #5
Nick Brough
Bronze Supporter
United Kingdom

GT40: SGT 351W G50

Quote:
Hi Nick ..... the point I was trying to get across to Tom, was that if you are asked if you are going to fit side windows and you answer yes, then it will result in a fail because they are not fitted at the time of test.
Some clarity on the mirror issue would be good. My understanding is that both mirrors have to be adjustable from the drivers position. If someone has a current IVA manual it would be good if they can appraise us on the current wording.
As you are probably aware the IVA requirements are constantly being revised and test centres are not consistent in their interpretations.
It is good that we all share information & experiences as currently there are a lot of cars in-build. Also there are a number of people trying to complete very old kits (KVA etc) and these now represent quite a challenge from an IVA stand point. Recently I showed a guy ( who's trying to complete an old kit) round my car and I pointed to loads of things to which he said 'good', "mines just like that". To which I replied, 'bad', cos that's now a fail.
He was staggered and somewhat disheartened.
Hi Steve,

Link to manual here https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ion-manual.pdf

Section 8 covers indirect vision and only appears to mention the offside mirror regarding adjustment

11. The obligatory offside mirror fitted to a vehicle with a right hand or central
driving position must be adjustable from the driving seat. Alternatively, if
knocked out of alignment, it must be capable of being returned to its former
position without the need for adjustment.

Note 6: If fitted, an optional nearside mirror may supplement the
field of view requirements of the obligatory mirrors
Old 31st January 2018, 02:34 PM   #6
Steve Dean
Rookie
United Kingdom

Bravo Nick ...... I hope Tom, who started this thread, see's the link you posted as that could be vital for him.
I'm going to study the current manual and see if I can get a clear understanding regarding the rear window requirements as this may help John in Essex who's car has been failed using the rear window supplied by Andy at Tornado. This is interesting because Andy has had cars passed fitted with exactly the same window.
Old 31st January 2018, 04:20 PM   #7
IanAnderson
Lifetime Premier Supporter
United Kingdom

GT40: Dax 40 Mk1 (Rov

Do not fit aircon!
Dead give away you are going to fit Windows

Ian
Old 31st January 2018, 07:18 PM   #8
johnny cobra
4 Tenths
United Kingdom

GT40: Tornado GT 40.

Quote:
Bravo Nick ...... I hope Tom, who started this thread, see's the link you posted as that could be vital for him.
I'm going to study the current manual and see if I can get a clear understanding regarding the rear window requirements as this may help John in Essex who's car has been failed using the rear window supplied by Andy at Tornado. This is interesting because Andy has had cars passed fitted with exactly the same window.
Don't fit side windows ...Or drill any fixing holes ..

As you say Steve so many 40s gone through SVA... IVA ,,, seems now they want to see a glass rear window fitted ,, And the knob still moaned about it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..
Old 31st January 2018, 07:45 PM   #9
91740Gt
6 Tenths
United Kingdom

GT40: Racing

Gentlemen,

I do admire and sympathise with all of you who have to go through the dreaded SVA/IVA test in order to get your cars on the road.

However, please, please, please tell your insurance companies about your alterations back to original looks after you pass your test because if, God forbid, you have an accident and someone or something is injured, or worse, broken or damaged, then the insurance would be null and void because of the car not being as it had been passed and registered for road use.

Be aware of the police also, and pray you don,t meet up with one of the more knowledgable and cute ones. They are out there.
91740Gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2018, 07:20 PM   #10
Deno
Rookie
Australia

GT40: Tornado

It is as bad, if not worse in NSW Australia, the "Nanny State".
Thanks, I will have to find out what the situation here is for side windows.
Side Mirrors are the same here, electric for Drivers Side.
Must have AirCon fitted here to pass Windscreen Demisting rules.
(Plus it gets hot)
Deno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2018, 05:32 AM   #11
johnny cobra
4 Tenths
United Kingdom

I had to have a glass rear window fitted . The tester still wasn't sure about that . The idiot could not make his own mind up ..

John..
Old 23rd February 2018, 01:05 PM   #12
Andy Sheldon
10 tenths
United Kingdom

GT40: Tornado TS40

Glass E marked side windows are now on the horizon.

That's after the full emissions test of course.

We are already having tooling manufactured as we need to be one step in front all of the time.

It just seems that the more rules they make and you comply with, the more additional rules they think up. Maybe leaving Europe will change that but I doubt it.

That's been the trend since SVA was introduced in the 90's.

No matter what they throw at us we will adapt our cars and products to pass the test whatever it costs.

Thanks

Andy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Manufacturer of the Microsoft Xbox Forza GT40
Andy Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2018, 01:51 PM   #13
johnny cobra
4 Tenths
United Kingdom

Oh Well done Andy m8 ... We got to beat them LOL

John

Tags
iva, mirrors, problem, side, windows