Brake Pedal Bias

Can anyone confirm what is acceptable for IVA test with regards to locking the dual brake bias bar.

A) Drilled and locked with a roll pin
B) Drilled, locked with a roll pin and a locking nut
C) As above but locking nut drilled and locked with locking wire
D) Locked with a nut and welded
C) All of the above

I would add that having been working on the pedal box in situ and brake bias eventually locked (somehow) I wont be venturing there ever again as I have a bruised rib and a stiff neck/shoulders and a sore thigh from climbing in and out whilst lying at different angles. I knew the process would be hard but not this bl*~dy painful :uneasy:

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Hi
We had my car SVA tested.
During the test they said the position was not locked. We said test the brakes and if the position is acceptable we will drill and roll pin in position which we did and at retest they checked the roll pins were fitted.

I just read the IVA manual and it specifies wire locking.
Which would appear an easier method,

This would probably
Y work in conjunction with the do not adjust sticker from Car Builder Solutions

But I have heard of some testers insisting on nuts welded in place. They seem to like making rules up as they go

Ian

Hi
We had my car SVA tested.
During the test they said the position was not locked. We said test the brakes and if the position is acceptable we will drill and roll pin in position which we did and at retest they checked the roll pins were fitted.

I just read the IVA manual and it specifies wire locking.
Which would appear an easier method,

This would probably
Y work in conjunction with the do not adjust sticker from Car Builder Solutions

But I have heard of some testers insisting on nuts welded in place. They seem to like making rules up as they go:thumbsup:

Ian

Ian thank you, I’ll go with this and work forward if necessary, many thanks

I strongly advise you check with the test center you will be using as Ian is correct when he says they seem to require it welding so as it can't be changed. Don't forget the sticker and also the one stating the brake fluid in use.

Hi Mark,

If you are getting your car tested at Chadderton , my bias bar had a nut one end two nuts the other with one of the two nuts having a washer welded to it. This washer was wire locked to the brake pedal. I also had a CBS sticker stating no adjustment should be made.

Last edited:
Brake Bias passed on both braking efficiency and the method to lock in place. I set the bias at approx 70:30 to the front and had a locking nut and split pin in place to prevent any alterations to the bias bar. I also had the compulsory sticker in place. The test itself whilst a little un-nerving went well and found the testers professional and helpful too. It always concerns me when comments made about the examiners are particularly defamatory when ultimately it's their neck on the line if they send out a car which does not meet legislation. This is the second car I have put through IVA and both passed on the first attempt, the first was a Kirkham Cobra and now a GT40...nothing but awkward but apply yourself and don't cut corners!

After pontificating and deliberating the bias bar was set by calculated guess work. The bar was locked with a nut and then drilled so a roll pin could be inserted. It passed and the braking ratio was bob on!

Back