looking for 1965 - 289 block & crank

I need to find a 1965 289 block with crank
must be 6-bolt bell housing pattern
do not want to bore more than 30 thou. to true cylinders (I'm going to make a very high reving motor).

thanks for any help

Check with DSC Motorsport or maybe Ford Man's Mustang

Main Street Motorsport has had 'em in the past as well, but they mostly ship to Europe and are pricey.

I've got one that is already .030 over but still shows the honing marks on the cylinder walls (apparently blew up before it had too many miles on it) so I don't think it needs a rebore. However, I'm reluctant to part with it... Get back to me if you get totally stuck & maybe I'll change my mind (and no, that's not an attempt to extract a high price for it).

Thanks Steve - -

Sent e-mails to all of them! I know how you feel - - I've got two others but both will require 40+ to true up and I just don't want that for the little screamer I'm trying to build.

Steve,

I talked to main street motorsports - - - Boy are they ever proud of those motors!!! Pricey does not begin to describe it!! they want $950.00 US + shipping for a bare block - his reasoning was that they ship most of them to the UK for FiA racing and that's "what they can get"!!! I've seen lots of blocks for $200.00 with cranks - boy are they ripping folks off!

As to sleeving them - - I really don't like to sleeve an engine that I'm going to push hard - - just not confortable with it.

thanks

Well I DID warn you... I think $950 is about the same they were quoting me when I talked to them a few years ago. Yes, that's pricey, but they do clean 'em and check them out before selling them - something your typical $200 seller does not do. You might get your $200 back from the seller if the block checks out bad, but then you still have the hassle of trying to find another one. So there's some value there. Once you get the full engine built up, an extra $750 or so will probably not be that large in percentage terms. But then I didn't buy from them, so I guess I found them too rich for my tastes as well...

Anyway, keep looking. There are still a few decent blocks out there, just getting a little harder to find these days.

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
You might also give a holler to Cobra Automotive , they do lots of Shelby GT350 resto's and may have a line on them. Very helpful when ever I have called. I would not expect too low a price, but might be another source that has them.

Sandy

Back