016 to SBC adapter, clutch, starter, flywheel.

I am ready to purchase an adapter, looking for the Kennedy model to mate an 016 Audi unit to a SBC vintage year '69 model motor. Also looking for the flywheel, clutch pack, and starter.

I will pay a fair price for good condition parts, used is ok. Let me know, I am trying to find some used parts that someone does not need anymore before I buy new from Kennedy. Please let me know gents, and as always thanks for any help you may lend.

Ryan,

SBC, SBC? What? Did you bump your head? Man, just buy a vette.

I'm crushed. I gave out all of that free Audi/944T info to someone that's going to put a chevy in a beautiful Ford.

Next thing your going to tell me is that Ford didn't build a good enough motor for you. They won 4 years in a row at LeMan.

Don't take this wrong I'm not mad just disappointed.

Hey Jim,

I know, it hurts, but look at it this way, someone has to be last, this way it wont have to be a Ford.

Jac Mac

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Re: SBC powered Valkyrie

In Ryan's defense, to my knowledge the Valkyrie was never marked as a GT40 replica, but was represented to be "...loosely based on the Ford GT40". In my experience (and according to my research) the most common drivetrain for the Valkyrie was Chebbie power--in fact, the Valkyrie has been "resurected" and the most recent magazine feature I read showed the motor to clearly be an SBC. I know that the two Valkyries I have seen clearly had an SBC behind the driver's cabin. I don't know the transaxle information for the first I saw--it was on a used car lot in Denver, CO back in the early 1970's--but I do know the second I saw had a strange arrangement using a Chrysler 727 transmission connected to some sort of transaxle. It looked well engineered, but of course it would be a disappointment to a guy like me who was looking for a SBF powered car. Needless to say, I didn't pay the guy the $10K he was asking for the car--he freely admitted the motor hadn't been started in a decade and he had no idea if the transmission was any good after such a long respite.

I, for one, applaud Ryan's dedication to resurecting this old Fiberfab creation. I always thought them to be well sculpted and not too bad a stab at replicating the 40, although obviously not historically accurate (nor meant to be).

Good luck, Ryan, in your endeavor. I, for one, would like to see that old Valkyrie fly again! IMHO, a Chebbie powered Valkyrie would be a more desirable car than a GM manufactured 'Vette. It would be much more unique, and historically accurate (as relates to Fiberfab's engineering) at the same time.

Just my $.02 worth on the issue.

Doug

Doug,

My bad. I feel like a complete dumb a** I didn't even realize that Ryan was build a Valkyrie. Guess I'm going to have to pay closer attention. I was assuming a Gt40.

Sorry Ryan.

Yes, it is a Valkyrie w/ the X-frame rear.

Gentleman, there is nothing more in this world that I would love to have than a replica or original 40. I think that the mid-engine Lemans style cars of that era to be some of the most beautiful designed vehicles on the road. However, their price and rareness of these cars led me to find a small company that has recently ramped back into produciton for my platform. Fiberfab. Quite possibly at my level the only affordable mid-engine kit out there. Yes Jim, I'm an idiot, because I would love a 427 CJ side oiler with Ida's, but in true hot rod fashion found a 350 from a 69 camaro w/ 71-72 Big Valve Vette heads in a 78 C30 one ton van. Price $800, sold the van for $400 after I took out the motor. So there ya go. Ford made a great motor, I do not doubt that.

I went audi because I intend to do an aluminum floor, and firewall. As well as putting in a full roll cage, for impact protection. The orig kits have a fibergalss floor HA LOL, and no provisions for mounting actual Seats!! So some chassis work is in need to bring this car up to my standards of safety and performance.

The valkyrie was never really marketed as a 40 replica, just a mid-engine kit. So you are correct Doug, and thank you for your comments. I was going to go with the crown corvair trans and transaxle, but for obvious space reasons, and strength concerns I have found an audi unit. I still have the orginal setup and am debating ebaying it, or just keeping it around for a V8 corvair project. The original kits were designed to have the corvair suspension and trans setup. The SBC easily adapts to the corvair unit because they are GM. They had marketed as well an assembled car with a ZF and a ford motor I believe. That was the original valkyrie, but it was a finished car not a kit. The kits I believe came later. I do love the styling of the valk, and it really is a gorgeous car. plus with Fiberfab back up and running producing new cars, I will have replacement pieces and factory support.

Thanks gentleman for your comments, but does anyone have an adapter?

As always, thanks gents.

Last edited:

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Ryan,

Do a search here on Audi and Lambo; there is a Lambo constructor in Canada who uses Audi transaxles and it was on his website where I first heard about reinforcing the wall between the diff and tranny in the Audi.

I really think you'll have the best luck in that community which has no particular allegiance to anyone. With everything equal, I'd bet most of them are building cars with Chevys just because parts are more plentiful and cheaper. Another community you might try is the Ultima guys. The Porsche G50 is the spec tranny for that car, but, again, I'd bet there is more than one guy using an Chevy/Audi to save some $$.

Regards,
Lynn

Last edited:
Back