On a mission for my first GT40

I've decided it's time to put myself ahead of the engine, and am looking to purchase my first GT40. A complete car in the US would be ideal, but something 75-99% complete would be okay too. I do intend to drive it! I'm not too set on any one kit, as long as it's not junk.

I'll post when I've found something; otherwise I'm still looking...

Can you give more details about what you are looking for? What is your budget? Do you want something super original or a "hot rod" Gt 40? The more info you give us, the more we can help you out.

Details are still coming in, but here's my vision so far. My main criterion is that it can be DRIVEN, regularly and reliably. Not that I'm planning coast-to-coast trips or anything, but I do intend to enjoy it in motion. I don't care if it's loud and cramped; that's part of the package (though I've got to watch the pedal spacing with my wide feet).

I've always done cars the way I like them. I've never been into 100 point show cars with all the proper chalk marks and fasteners. I'd rather have black residue on the rear quarters and dead bugs in the radiator.

To give an idea, my target GT40 might be a Mk I body with a 400HP carb'd small block Ford, an appropriate reliable transmission, and a/c.

I'm starting with a budget in the $50-$60k range and seeing where it takes me. I might pay more in some circumstances, and I'd expect less for something incomplete or needing work. Example: earlier this week an early 90's KVA kit with a 302 and Porsche 914 transaxle went for $37k on eBay. Seemed to be in nice shape with new paint, but it did need a few things. This is the type of thing I'd consider (though I need to do more due diligence here).

I'm very open to suggestions, cautions, recommendations, etc.!

Got it! I took delivery of my first GT40 yesterday; see Topcat's car in the vehicles for sale section. Looking forward to the adventure.

Back