WANTED: used SPF GT40 MkII

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
I'm after a used SPF GT40 MkII (can't afford a new one although I'd love to build my own). Prefer low-key appearance. Prefer already licensed in Calif. but will consider others if there is clean paperwork to support a Calif. SB100 application (engine & chassis receipts and documented trail of ownership)

Would appreciate any leads, hints, suppositions or fantasies.

Thanks in advance,

Alan Watkins
San Diego, CA.

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
Have you looked at Dean Lampe's ad? He has a nice turnkey( without the minus) SPF 40 for sale. I think it was still for sale a week or 2 ago. Price was more than reasonable and all you have to do is write a check and start the engine.

Dean's is a nice car, I probably should have bought it myself. I has SB100, which makes things easy. BUT, it is a MARK I.

Dean's MKI is still for sale, as of yesterday, BUT, if the car has not been titled in his home state of Illinois, then you'll be able to renew the registration in CA without an issue. If, however, the car has been titled in IL, Dean's home state, the CA title is/was surrendered, then the new CA owner will have to start from scratch with the SB100 process (again).

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
If, however, the car has been titled in IL, Dean's home state, the CA title is/was surrendered, then the new CA owner will have to start from scratch with the SB100 process (again).

WOW! What head-up-his-arse politician devised that evil provision? It seems as if once a car had passed the state's SB100 process it ought to be "grandfathered" back in......

Incredible......:thumbsdown:

Doug

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
Dean's is a nice car, I probably should have bought it myself. I has SB100, which makes things easy. BUT, it is a MARK I.

Easily changed with the nose and tail...or just the tail. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the dealers don't have spare clips just for that purpose. I wanted a MKI w/FE, I was told that everything would fit but the pipes. They wouldn't clear the rear clip( without some tweaking) because of the slope on the MKI. Still might be a quick easy way to get a MKII.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Easily changed with the nose and tail....

I'm glad you said that, thank you. I was wondering if I could solve my problem that way.

Anyone have a rough guess of cost for a rear clip? Or a suggestion of which dealer(s) would be the most likely to have the clips and/or be willing to trade?

When you purchase one of these cars that has been LEGALLY titled in another in State and then is brought into CA, the new owner can attempt to rely on CA's accepting the other State's title under the "full faith and credit" which would accept the other State's valid title, BUT you would have to prove to the DMV that the car was legally titled in that other State with plenty of documentation that you actually disclosed to the other State that the car was not indeed a 1965 car, but a replica of a 1965 car.

In reality, it could prove to be nearly impossible to go that route, cost a bunch of time and money, when the SB100 process is rather simple and not that time consuming at all.

For a car like the SLC, GTM or Noble, you are clearly going to have to go through the SB100 process. With Cobras and GT40's, it's possible.

Steve Briscoe

Lifetime Supporter
I have a brand new SPF MKII roller for sale. It's in the for sale section here on the website. Completion of SPF cars for California has been done many times by www.fullthrottlereno.com. They have experience in working through the SB100 issue. Please let me know if you have any interest.
Thanks.

Steve's Mark II is beatiful. One of the many cars I considered.

Dean's car has not been titled outside of california (last I heard), and should be able to hit the road running in CA. That said, my understanding was that there were some differences in the framework/mounting of the Mark II rear clip when compared to a Mark I. Not just an exhasut issue.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Yes, the case where a special construction has been registered elsewhere is the most difficult one. John Draneas, resident attorney at "Sport Car Market" has a good article on that in this month's issue. Coincidentally, the article was triggered by someone calling him about an out-of-state SPF GT-40. Worse still, California is in the the midst of an amnesty program for recapturing vehicles that were improperly registerd as, for example, 60's cars. It's a complicated environment. But I'm completely ready for either the "unregistered" case or the "registered only in CA" cases. Fortunately those two are relatively well-understood.

Yes, the case where a special construction has been registered elsewhere is the most difficult one. John Draneas, resident attorney at "Sport Car Market" has a good article on that in this month's issue. Coincidentally, the article was triggered by someone calling him about an out-of-state SPF GT-40. Worse still, California is in the the midst of an amnesty program for recapturing vehicles that were improperly registerd as, for example, 60's cars. It's a complicated environment. But I'm completely ready for either the "unregistered" case or the "registered only in CA" cases. Fortunately those two are relatively well-understood.

Actually, it's really not all that difficult to register a SPCNS car that was previously legally titled in another State. There are plenty of Club Cobra members that have done it and it's virtually the same process as the standard SB100 process.

Now if the new buyer wanted to keep the 1965 title from another State and bring it to CA and register it as a 1965 car again, thereby avoiding the SB100 process, then best of luck. It can be done, but I have no idea why you would do it that way.

That's great for any CA buyers for Dean's MKI. I hope he's paying the registration fees current too.

Steve's blue MKII is a great deal and a beautiful car.

BTW, while the article in Sports Car Market is very good, it's ground already covered over at Club Cobra, since Mr. Morgester, the Assistant CA AG who's quoted in the article, is a periodic contributor over at the Club Cobra Forum.

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
, my understanding was that there were some differences in the framework/mounting of the Mark II rear clip when compared to a Mark I. Not just an exhasut issue.

I can only state what I was told by Lance. I can't verify with a car present, but it would seem he has some insight. From what I recall about the clips is that the MKI slopes more and is an obstacle for FE headers/exhausts.Now that may require a different lower mount, but I am pretty certain the center tubs are the same. I think a MKII clip would fit any MKI, but not the reverse, at least from the converstation I had a several months ago.
If someone wants to buy our unused and engineless( I do have a balanced 428 for it) MKIII SPF Cobra, I'd buy Dean's car. Can't have all the toys and room to work...the Brock Coupe is a keeper though.

Alan,
Try cobracountry.com and look under GT40 section. A couple of great used MKII's are available on the site. They are pricey, but who knows, make an offer and see what the seller will take.
Garry

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Re: FOUND: used SPF GT40 MkII

Just took delivery of SPF P2160.

Thanks for the help and tips,

Alan Watkins
San Diego, CA

Back