Aluminium water pump

Due to my incorrect welding technique when blanking off a cast water pump for electric water pump installation ( actual modification went well as pre-heated then used the correct rods) but during pressure testing I noticed a pinhole, which I tried to fill without preheating . Result was a big crack. OOPS
I am looking for an another waterpump , preferably aluminium, to butcher for my installation.
Impellor will be removed so basically a U/S unit is what i need.

Engine 1987 302 v8

Needs to have a left hand exit when viewed from the front of the engine .

Can anybody help??

Howard Jones

Supporter
I have a edelbrock alum passenger side (US) outlet short pump that failed because the impeller spun on the shaft. I welded it back to the shaft but it is a cast iron impeller and I decided to use a different pump. If you can't find anything closer I will send you this one (free) if you cover cost of shipping. The casting (body) is in undamaged condition but you will need to grind off the impeller to remove the shaft (etc.)

Let me know and we'll figure out UPS cost to your address from California USA.

Hi Robin,
do you mean one of these:

Regards,
Andy

Attachments

• PB261831small.JPG
    PB261831small.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 240
I am thinking that is the wrong way round.

I am looking for the main pipe to be on the left hand side looking at the engine from the front.

I dont think I have much room on the right but will check tonight .

Thanks

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
You may want to look at my build log or some information on turning a water pump into a distribution manifold. While I have not pressed this into service yet, it was based on some pretty solid research and omponents like the expanding plug have been used successfully for decades..

GT-Forty.com

Good Point Randy,

Robin, I once upon a time made up some bosses if you wanted to remove the WP entirely. They may still be in the shed somewhere if I can find them and you want them (the pump housing went ages ago)

attachment.php

Robin,
ditch the waterpump completey and modifiy the timing cover to take the coolant stub pipes directly, minimising the potential number of leak paths. The attached is what I did on mine
Rgds,
Andy

Attachments

• P1291107.jpg
    P1291107.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 244
Brett

What you have done was the other option my only issue was that i was struggling to get a pipe that was at least equivelent to half the volume of the original inlet pipe the fit in the space between the bolt holes therefore not ceating any flow issues.

If you could find these i would be interested in purchasing .

Let me know if you can

Cheers

Back