Wanted GT40 15 Years Old or More

Hi,

Looking for a GT40 replica at least 15 years old. Preferably in North America, but would consider others. Reason? Importation laws in Canada are quite strict unit the vehicle is 15 years old or more. So, would make it possible to bring a GT40 replica in if more then 15 years old. Thanks.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
As defined by vehicle title?

No, Transport Canada/RIV require proof that the car is 15 years old. The new build registered in as state that allows it to be a "1965 Ford" will not fly.

We are aware of a couple of recent attempts to use a model year registered car that have been refused by Canada and in one case a car that got in only to be required to be exported after the ruse was discovered.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
If I have a state of Colorado title that says 1966 how would you prove differently? I understand any of us here could easily but a person at DMV? Mine just looked at the SPF Vin and said yup that is not a modern Vin #.

Last edited:
If. Have a state of Colorado title that says 1966 how would you prove differently?

Declared value would be a guaranteed tip off. What's an original 1966 GT40 worth, and what's a replica worth? On which value is the importer planning to pay tax? What other ways can you tell an original from a replica?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
If I have a state of Colorado title that says 1966 how would you prove differently? I understand any of us here could easily but a person at DMV? Mine just looked at the SPF Vin and said yup that is not a modern Vin #.

They require dated proof such as an old title, registration, etc. The "model year" title will NOT fly! In some cases a timeline of proof is required.

Are you willing to risk siezure of the car is the question we ask customers who ask us to participate in this type of import. We are "upstream" of the import so we would not really be affected but I don't want to sell a guy a car that he can't use or worse, is siezed!

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Mark / George

What is required to prove the age of the car?
For example I have a Dax (not currently for sale) which was built at the factory in the last quarter of 1990 (23 years old) and I have the order forms and invoices from that point to prove this date. Likewise I have proof the engine was built during the same period of 1990. Re

Now the first owner did panelling etc but gave up after a while and I completed the car and got it first registered for road use in 2006.

So what would Transport Canada use as the date? 1990 or 2006?

Just if it is 1990 then for example on this site there is a GTD currently for sale. The factory ceased to exist over 15 years ago so the cur would then have to be approved, however if the registration date is critical it will fail because it is only being put through the process at present.

With some clarification it might make it easier for those not in Canada to make a decision on the suitability of the car

Ian

Transport Canada is looking for documentation -- ideally from a government source such as the local DMV -- that proves the month and year when the vehicle kit was fully completed/assembled and first registered for road use (that would be 2006 in your DAX example). Sometimes the vehicle registration can work, e.g., in California where a kit car might be titled as a "1995 SPCN" or similar; but as Rick said they know to look for kit cars that are "falsely" titled as 1966 GT40s or 1965 Cobras or whatnot.

I'm pretty sure that a potential buyer can submit the documentation in advance to TC to see whether it meets their requirement.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
At the time I purchased my KVA in 2007 a move to Calgary was looming so I was particular to buy a car I was fairly confident could be imported into Canada. It's a 1993 first titled in 1995 and came with original kit purchase receipts plus a State of Maine VIN reassignment dated 1995. It was also a feature car in a GT40 comparison in Kit Car Magazine March 1997 of which I obtained a magazine copy.

It's been sat on a four post lift having stripped the interior in readiness for a refit, but time and focus has been elsewhere of late, so if you don't mind a bit of a project drop me a PM.

Julian

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Brian and Mark are correct that TC requires evidence of road registration to substantiate the 15 year age. Also correct that they will (did in my case) review your documentation prior to importation. I was also able to have them write a letter confirming their position on my car which made life very much easier at the border.

Julian's KVA might be just the fit if you are up for a small project.

Good luck!

Hi, I have a 1990 GTD Mk1, built by the factory in England, in Essex wire livery..this is the first time I have posted..let me know if you receive this...Thanks Russ

Hi,
If you are still looking, I may have your car...and could deliver it to Calgary, as I am buying an airplane in pieces there next month
Russ Johansen 601 344 7646

Back