ZFQ Bell housing wanted

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Scott, try Denis at Olthoff racing.

I had a chat with him the other day and the ZFQ came up....he may have some spare parts available

Scott McDill

Supporter
Fran
I spoke to Dennis last week. The only Bell housing he has is reserved for a ZFQ box he is renewing.
Chris
My E-mails to Michael at Quaife UK have so far gone unanswered
any further help in locating one would be greatly appreciated.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
How does a ZFQ bell housing differ from a ZF GT40 orientation one? Is the bolt pattern different? I have the latter surplus to my requirements.

Julian

Scott McDill

Supporter
Julian I will attempt to explain
The original and most copies of the original (Safir Spares, John Wisher, etc) bell housing use a small 148 tooth flywheel. This is good as the engine is low in the chassis, it decreases the amount of flywheel and housing hanging below the chassis. Flywheels to fit are harder to find, and in my case even harder as I want a zero or neutral balance flywheel. Kennedy engineered products make what is essentially a Pantera bell housing that is drilled for the gt-40 orientation. It uses a 163 tooth flywheel resulting in more flywheel and housing hanging below the chassis. The ZFQ uses very common late model 5.0 157 tooth flywheel which has huge aftermarket support from the mustang crowd. Easy to find zero balance, multi disc, etc at reasonable cost. Cosmetically the Kennedy is casted without the strengthening ribs. The only other 157 tooth compatible bell housing is the quick time which is all steel and also without the ribs. So for me the best compromise in appearance, size, and use of easily available parts is the ZFQ

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Scott,

Thanks for the explanation, I'll check what I have when I get back to the US over the weekend. I know it is cast aluminum and don't recall any ribs.

Julian

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Scott, Kennedy also makes a smaller bellhousing too...give Brett a call as he mentioned they were casting another batch pretty soon

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Julian I will attempt to explain
The original and most copies of the original (Safir Spares, John Wisher, etc) bell housing use a small 148 tooth flywheel. This is good as the engine is low in the chassis, it decreases the amount of flywheel and housing hanging below the chassis. Flywheels to fit are harder to find, and in my case even harder as I want a zero or neutral balance flywheel. Kennedy engineered products make what is essentially a Pantera bell housing that is drilled for the gt-40 orientation. It uses a 163 tooth flywheel resulting in more flywheel and housing hanging below the chassis. The ZFQ uses very common late model 5.0 157 tooth flywheel which has huge aftermarket support from the mustang crowd. Easy to find zero balance, multi disc, etc at reasonable cost. Cosmetically the Kennedy is casted without the strengthening ribs. The only other 157 tooth compatible bell housing is the quick time which is all steel and also without the ribs. So for me the best compromise in appearance, size, and use of easily available parts is the ZFQ

Nope,
The original GT40 MKI bell-housing was used on a flywheel at just over 10" dia. with a 117 teeth ring gear.

The john wisher bellhousing is for the smaller flywheel .We keep machined steel billet flywheels in stock 121 teeth that fit (neutral balance) .
regards mick.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Would the ERA bellhousing work? That is what I used. It would work if the mounting bolts are in the same location as the RBT and real ZFs. It does accommodate the larger flywheel for the single-plate Ford clutch, widely available.

I know ERA are out of the GT40 business for the moment- at least I think they are- but they might have bellhousings yet.

Scott McDill

Supporter
Thanks to all. I have located a bell housing.
And thank you to JIMMYMAC for the correction on the original size.
Fran was right about Kennedy. They are now making a smaller 157 tooth compatible bell housing. Mick form Southern GT is able to supply the ZFQ bell housing.

Back