Looking for door side mirrors

If you are looking for some on the cheap, you can find RX7s in the bone yard.

P1010048.jpg

P1010045-1.jpg

They are electrified. A slight sanding on the inside leading edge will give the proper look/angle if added to the curvature of the door. Mine are mounted on the door plexiglass at the front edge.

P1010151-1.jpg

I decided not to use the electric part of the mirrors for two reasons. 1. The unit I purchased the electrics were fried. 2. I planned to add rear view cameras behind the lens.

P1010101.jpg

The FOV was better than the mirrors. Being mounted a tad higher than most everyones, it saw outside of the Gulf Flares I had added, and it worked with the main rear view camera(mounted where the cabin and rear clip meet) so that any car overtaking would go seamlessly from the main camera into the side camera(s) on the affected side. When It went out of the view of the side camera, it would be beside the door and viewed by direct vision. I plan to change the central camera for a smaller unit to go into one of the modern antenna housings like on the Mercedes or BMW. Originally thought I would need the extra IR lights.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
The best options in my opinion are;

Vitaloni Californian (might require some internal reworking on the adjuster ball to get the passenger side angle)
Vitaloni Baby Turbo (what I settled for currently provides easy adjustment and reasonable rear/side view)
Talbot fender style (period correct, not my favorite look though)

All the above options can be found at reasonable prices online or eBay.

FWIW I mounted my mirrors to a triangular piece of Lexan that is then held on with the window screws. No additional drilling in case I decide to change.

Julian

I personally like the RX-7 mirrors as I stated above. I mounted mine like Julian but didn't want to put a hole on the door. Since mine utilize a camera I had to drill a hole in the sill of the window but it isn't noticeable. If you have the Gulf Flares you will need every bit of height you can get to try and see what is coming up on you. I gave up on period correctness in lieu of safety. Wrecked a Lotus Turbo Esprit because of the small flat mirrors and poor rear vision. You might want to try the convex mirror choices.

Bill

Back