WTD: Bundle of Snakes, Gulf arches etc.

Looking for following items:

- bundle of snakes for 351W (or for 289/302), dia must be around 1 3/4" to 2", SS or mild. Everything considered; projects etc.

- rear Gulf arches

- hi-perf. radiator for 40

Thanks!

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Hi,

I have a pair of rear gulf arches tucked away in my loft, can dig them out in a week when I get back home.

Julian

You need to be specific about the exhaust. They are not interchangeable. Most who would be willing to build the exhaust will need the the car for clearance issues. Ask me how I know!! Each brand of 40 is a little different in the rear compartment. if there is a race shop(that builds race cars) in your area, talk to them. This is a staple item for them.

Bill

Bill, thank You for your kind advice.
And I don`t ask how do You know! :)

I guess i know very well the possible problems. I have access to hydraulic pipe bender with mandrel, and to water- & plasma cutters, but becouse want to save time (and i`m lazy) I`ll try to buy ready, or almost ready ones first.
Can modify them if neccessary.

Engine: 351W (406"), transaxle is built in 01E -type housing.

PS. Julian, You got PM.

Bill, thank You for your kind advice.
And I don`t ask how do You know! :)

I guess i know very well the possible problems. I have access to hydraulic pipe bender with mandrel, and to water- & plasma cutters, but becouse want to save time (and i`m lazy) I`ll try to buy ready, or almost ready ones first.
Can modify them if neccessary.

Engine: 351W (406"), transaxle is built in 01E -type housing.

PS. Julian, You got PM.

Bill is right about checking for clearence.

Mick at Southern GT did my bundle of snakes I have a 351W engine and Porsche G50 gearbox. He borrowed my G50 box as he had not done an exhaust for that set up before. I believe he has the jigs / templates to do them for Porsche G50, Renault and Quaife ZF type boxes. May be worth contacting him to see if he does Audi ones if you are interested.

I suspect it will not cheap with shipping, but buy cheap buy twice and the Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten you will also save you a lot of time

Southern GT - Manufacturer of the new Southern GT40 Replica-1skif4k8a3o0j257im4kchid50

Pictures of my exhaust built by Southern

Attachments

• exhaust1.jpg
    exhaust1.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 330
  • exhaust2.jpg
    exhaust2.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 377
  • exhaust3.jpg
    exhaust3.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 411
  • exhaust4.jpg
    exhaust4.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 450
Last edited:
That is a pretty fair price. Is that for steel or stainless?? Mine are stainless and I like the heat patina. Can always scotchbrite it and they look like new. Here is what came on mine from the previous owner. Didn't keep them.
Exhaust1.jpg

I took a picture to my friends at Shepard Race cars. They are right next to Road Atlanta. They do any and all kinds of fabrication work from drag cars to Bonneville Salt cars, and this is what they came up with.
PC210052.jpg

PC210051.jpg

PC210050.jpg

PC210049.jpg

1200 £ (1510 € / 1990 $) is price for steel ones, primary tubes are 1,75" dia. Price includes VAT 20%.
I can live without stainless, i`m anyway after period race look.

Bill, your stainless cross-overs are just... fantastic.
Are they with 2" primaries?

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Not material to the discussion per se, but worth considering if you are having a set fabricated is many exhaust fabricators are building these for routing and aesthetics rather than with any science. They should have equal length primaries to benefit from the pulse scavenging effects, this one of the main reasons 180 cross over exhaust came about in the first place and offered HP increases.

Julian

I have trick flow heads on my mustang I didn't know that you can't buy off the shelf headers, it cost me 2500.00 Canadian for hand built ones. My headers on my GTD40 could be replaced with a nice new set of cross overs.

Not material to the discussion per se, but worth considering if you are having a set fabricated is many exhaust fabricators are building these for routing and aesthetics rather than with any science. They should have equal length primaries to benefit from the pulse scavenging effects, this one of the main reasons 180 cross over exhaust came about in the first place and offered HP increases.

Julian

Hi Julian,

Mine from Southern GT are cross over but our 351W engines have a different firing order to the 302 so time will tell on how they sound or scavenge.

I seem to remember there was a long discussion on the forum with some good diagrams, a few years back on how much it really actually affected things

There is a different cam made for the cross-over system for the 351w base engine to re-arrange the firing order for the center 4 cylinders. Has a different bark at idle, different howl at speed. Don't have spec's or numbers as it came installed with no part number records. It sounds like a mid 60's indy engine.

Got more gulf arches -offers; I already bought 1 set from Julian.
Thank you all for offers :)

I ordered 3-row alu rad too.

Crossover exhaust manifolds for 351W; still missing.

did you find a exhaust? I have a quality CES manufactured and coasted system as new however in Australia.

Back