15" BRM wheels in UK or Europe

Paul, lots to think about with wheels, they are not just round bits of Ali with holes in, lot more complicated than that !. First, if you are going to use peg drives DO NOT use bolt on adapters, use a correctly made spindle. You need to know and design your wheels not only for clearance on your brakes, but also to allow for the correct positioning of the steering arm to get the Ackerman correct ( which will affect the position of the brakes disc et al. ) and of course to make sure that the KPI is correctly set in relation to the wheel , or vise versa . The whole package needs to be designed to be compatable both with its mechanical parts and also it's geometry. If you are going to make / have made the spindles, a lot of attention needs to be given to material specification, all of wheel seating angles, and of course the external retaining spinner or nut, which should always be mechanically locked either by wire or pin. Also remember that bigger is not always better, Carlos Fandango wheels are for boy street racers and possuers, not for drivers. Think hard !

Thanks Frank,

Some good advice there and if I'm honest a lot of it over my head :sad:

I'm running SGT/JW alloy uprights with peg drive knock on hubs, so no bolt on adaptors, everything is fairly standard Southern GT stuff, steering arms, AP Calipers and brake mounts so am ideally looking for a set of Image wheels which is what they use. I know what you mean about the wide wheels not always being better but I am going wide body so I do want it to look correct as well as function correctly, 8s front and 10s or 12s rears?

If I am fortunate enough to find a second hand set I will obviously check with Mick to endure suitability before buying (I've learnt this lesson before:shy: )

Cheers

Paul

Paul, lots to think about with wheels, they are not just round bits of Ali with holes in, lot more complicated than that !. First, if you are going to use peg drives DO NOT use bolt on adapters, use a correctly made spindle. You need to know and design your wheels not only for clearance on your brakes, but also to allow for the correct positioning of the steering arm to get the Ackerman correct ( which will affect the position of the brakes disc et al. ) and of course to make sure that the KPI is correctly set in relation to the wheel , or vise versa . The whole package needs to be designed to be compatable both with its mechanical parts and also it's geometry. If you are going to make / have made the spindles, a lot of attention needs to be given to material specification, all of wheel seating angles, and of course the external retaining spinner or nut, which should always be mechanically locked either by wire or pin. Also remember that bigger is not always better, Carlos Fandango wheels are for boy street racers and possuers, not for drivers. Think hard !

Hi Paul. I have period/original GT40 BRM 6-peg 8"x15" and 12"x15" for sale. They are magnesium and the real deal. However, they have to be the real deal price, whatever that is... I have no idea, but as these have the proper serial numbers on them and are pretty unique, then they've got to be worth more than replicas. Perhaps the good folk of the forum could tell me how much they are worth? I might have a photo somewhere. They are in 100% excellent order and I believe crack tested. Let me know thoughts please? The only reason they aren't going on P/1042 is the rears are too wide for my original bodywork. Regards.. Andrew

Back