GTD40 Tail lights !!!

Looking for replacement light assemblies. I would like to find the same style.

Apparently the guy I bought my from had rigged a secondary brake light switch in addition to the regular one that comes on the brake master. It seems he did this instead of fixing or replacing the normal switch. So.....this happened when the rigged switch failed on me and stayed on. I also found the incorrect bulbs in them. Could have been a lot worse had I not noticed the issue during a pre-drive inspection.

Anyone know when to purchase these? Please advise!

Thanks in advance!
Ken

Attachments

• gtd40 tail lamp1.jpg
    gtd40 tail lamp1.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 573
  • gtd40 tail lamp2.jpg
    gtd40 tail lamp2.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 671

Yuji

Lifetime Supporter
I believe those are from Fiat, say like 500. I've replaced the bulb with LDE and works fine and blight!

Thanks

Yuji

Lifetime Supporter
I bought one set of spare from auction few years ago. It costs me $180 at that time.

Thanks

Ken, try Midwest Bayless Italian auto parts @ 800 241 1446. They list a complete unit for $210.00 or just the base with light sockets @ $130.00

They where Simca 1000 not ...1100 :blank:

The fiat 850 are not all the same ( bezel etc etc ) ; these are more Lancia Stratos rear lights

The original GT40 rear lights were from a Simica 1100 The Fiat 850 is a good subsitute,
Regards Allan

I really appreciate all the help guys! I have ordered Fiat 850 light from Ricambio in the UK I believe and they are in route now!

BUT!!! How is it possible that so many people have such different answers about what was actually used only 50 years ago? There must be a picture or new old stock that is verified by someone. Ha, Not to mention there are plenty of original cars left.

Just Browse onto the forum about those lights and you will find threads and post where members have posted the original boxes for the original lights from the 65's

The simca 1100 is completely different from the Simca 1000 ones ; just Google the name of the 2 cars and you will understand why ....

Fiat 850 can be a subsitute but they where fitted on Lancia Stratos and not Gt 40
They look like but there are ( as said before ) slight differences

Just Browse onto the forum about those lights and you will find threads and post where members have posted the original boxes for the original lights from the 65's

The simca 1100 is completely different from the Simca 1000 ones ; just Google the name of the 2 cars and you will understand why ....

Fiat 850 can be a subsitute but they where fitted on Lancia Stratos and not Gt 40
They look like but there are ( as said before ) slight differences

thank you! I will study up on these lights and their differences. You have been a great help.

Doc,
Are you able to compare those replicas to an original NOS lens? That does seem like a good price for a set.

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
I can photo what I have and am sure I have pics of originals... have to wait a day or so is they a in a box somewhere in my shed....

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Tom,

For approximately, an 11 month period, the lenses sold by Marchal were as those fitted to later date GT40 MK1. Outside of that zone the lenses had various differences. The obvious one being that the orange and red segments of the lens did not 'sport' the concentric circles. Others did not have the rectangular reflector in the middle of the lens.
The base fitting also varied from a plastic cast to one of chromed alloy.
The correct lens is very thin on the ground now. I have looked into having them correctly remanufactured, but the market would not support the outlay.
A casual walk around any of the paddocks at a European race meeting will soon show up how many have replaced the lenses incorrectly.
The Fiat 850/Lancia Stratos 'animal' is an entirely different light.
I hope that clears up the mystery.....or maybe now I've completely 'fogged' it
:laugh:

Tom,

For approximately, an 11 month period, the lenses sold by Marchal were as those fitted to later date GT40 MK1. Outside of that zone the lenses had various differences. The obvious one being that the orange and red segments of the lens did not 'sport' the concentric circles. Others did not have the rectangular reflector in the middle of the lens.
The base fitting also varied from a plastic cast to one of chromed alloy.
The correct lens is very thin on the ground now. I have looked into having them correctly remanufactured, but the market would not support the outlay.
A casual walk around any of the paddocks at a European race meeting will soon show up how many have replaced the lenses incorrectly.
The Fiat 850/Lancia Stratos 'animal' is an entirely different light.
I hope that clears up the mystery.....or maybe now I've completely 'fogged' it
:laugh:

Accurate explanations of the story of those parts :thumbsup:

Back