Hi, My name is Al Wohlstrom, I currently own a Kirkham Cobra and am very interested in building a GT40. I'm sure there are many opinions as to which replica is best, thats what I'm here for! I look forward to sharing your insight and experience. Al

Welcome Al. Are you most interested in the actual build itself (the process of doing the work yourself), or are you
most interested in having the finished product ?

Thanks Jim.

Johan, Any stage really, I gleaned a fair amount of mechanical knowledge in the building and refining of my Cobra ( I purchased a roller, but at one time or another I have worked on the entire car).I was thinking about a roller again. I think that the journey is half the fun! A friend of mine is a Spyder nut and we both like the looks of your car. I talked to Fran Kress today, he was very helpful. We picked up my friends FIA ERA today at ERA, so we had a chance to ogle a half dozen GT40s in various stages of finish. I wish I could talk David & Tom Kirkham into building an aluminum GT40, they had been contemplating doing one until the Ford GT arrived. Any advice or pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks, Al

Ron Earp

Admin
Al, nice to have you on board. Curious, why an ally GT40? I think only one or two were ever produced, be interesting, but no real historical precident for it.

Ron, I really like the look of the Spyder and being 6'3" is valid reason. I guess I've gotten used to being in the open with the Cobra. A 40 with a removeable top would probably be a sacrilege.

Is it aluminum body or Kirkham quality that is the overriding factor? The Kirkhams do aluminum (in Poland). They tried fiberglass and decided they couldn't do a good enough job, so abandoned that effort.

I metTom Kirkham a couple of weeks ago at the Miller Motorsports park preview event. Asked him when they were going to build a Daytona Coupe. He said it's hot, it's noisy, the visibility out the back is worse than a GT40... I said yeah, so what's your point? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm sorry Ron, I misunderstood the question. I think an aluminum 40 would be neat and I really do like the quality of work the Kirkhams do.

Back