Hi from Australia

Hi guys, glad to have found this forum. I'm finally ready to start building my GT-40 replica and am going to need some advice. Firstly there are two companies making them here in Australia that I know of, DBR and Roaring Forties what are the pro's and con's of each if anybody has an opinion I'd be grateful to hear it. Secondly I'd like to start with just the chassis and do most of the work myself. Some friends of mine are restoring a WWII B-24 Liberator so I have access to all the equipment I'll need. Yep a B-24 there about half way there. Can get some pics if your interested. Anyway just thought I'd say hi and await some feedback as to what manufacturers are preffered and why. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

Hi Jeremy,

Welcome to the forum. I suppose the best advice when choosing a kit manufacturer is to go with one you feel comfortable with. I have nearly completed my Roaring Forties GT40 and one of the major factors in my decision to go with them was that they are located relatively close (ferry trip across the bay to Dromana). I found this to be really handy as a first time kit car constructor being able to visit the factory and see how they do things.

You must be located fairly close to me. I stopped of the other day and had a look at the B24 Liberator project in Werribee which I assume is the only one in Aus hence the same one you mentioned. Absolutely amazed at the amount of spare and bits and pieces they have accunulated for the project. Would have liked to have spent more time looking but my 3yr old wasn't in the mood at the time. Sent me a PM if you wish to see an RF car first hand.

Regards Andrew

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Hi Jeremy
Welcome aboard. You'll find almost everything you need to know on this forum. Your best friend will be the search function (just make sure to set the parameters to more than a week if you want to get meaningful results).
RF are still located in Australia (as Andrew mentioned, they're in Dromana). They have opened a new facility in South Africa where they build cars for export, which allows the Dromana facility to concentrate on R&D and Australian customers.
DRB (now known as GT40 Australia) are based in Queensland.

Good luck choosing, you'll find plenty of references suggesting that only you can make the best choice for your situation and skills. There is plenty of info on the attributes of each manufacturers products.

Cheers

Bill.

Back