hey guys

Hey guys,

My name is Chris. I live in Connecticut. I was born in 1960 and I remember the GT40 when it was racing at LeMans. I saved up cereal box tops to get a toy one. If I remember correctly, they simply called it the Ford GT back then and the GT40 nickname came later. I'm a fan of classic racecars more than street cars and the Mk I is my all time favorite. The Ford GT is my favorite production car but I'd rather have a Mk I replica. As much as I love GT40s, there are reasons for you guys to dislike me:
1.)I'm not mechanically inclined. I understand basic principles such as pushrods vs DOHC, but I'm not good at working with my hands. Also, when you guys talk about really specific nuts and bolts issues, it's all Greek to me. If I ever bought a GT40 kit, I'd have to pay someone else to assemble it.
2.)It's not likely that I'll ever be able to afford a GT40. My financial situation has taken a major nose dive in recent years because of a bad marriage. If I ask you guys a question, it'll be purely for the sake of curiousity. They're also likely to be noobish questions because of reason #1.
3.)I'm a heretic. I would never dream of doing major alterations to an original GT40, but I don't worry about it so much with kit cars. There are some things that I wouldn't change even on a kit GT40. For instance, I prefer 15" wheels over 17s because I like the more classic look even if it means reduced performance. I want the interior and exterior styling to be faithful to the original. Here's where the heresy comes in, I like Chevy engines, particularly the modern LSx series. I like the idea of buying a modern crate engine with modern electronics, good reliability, low emissions and good fuel economy. They're also very light. I suppose I could find an aluminum SBF, but it sounds expensive. Correct me if I'm wrong about that. I feel the same way about the suspension. I want it to handle as well as possible, even if that means having a suspension that isn't original.

Anyhoo, you seem like a nice bunch of guys and I'm not serious about you disliking me. Mostly I'll read what's already been posted so I don't have to ask stupid questions.

Chris,

Welcome aboard. There are other members(s) that have a Chev powered GT40. Nothing wrong with that at all. It is completely up to the owner to do what works for them.

One point I would like to make, however.....and I will use the Cobra replica market as an example. I can report the majority (high) of Cobra Replicas are powered by Ford. Most of the replicas are based on the 427 MkIII body style. Many of these are powered by a stroked SBF, and some are using the FE big block engines. When it comes to resale, the ones that sell fast are the ones that are more close to the original form. I have seen a few Chev powered Cobras that have been on the market for quite a long time, and the asking prices are far below the Ford powered cars.

So, if this type of thing has no affect on your decision to go forward with a GT40 Replica, go for it. Good luck, and enjoy the forum!

Hi Chris,

I live and work just northwest of Hartford. When TSC's USA demo car gets here you are welcome to come and check it out to your hearts content.

Best regards,
Scott

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Hi Chris,

I left you a couple of replies on the my website forum to answer your questions.

There is one of our cars with a very special blue/black chassis arriving in the Ct. area very soon....

Mark Reid is on here and he has a really cool FFR Coupe...well it was until someone ran into him last weekend..he is a real car guy and I am sure he would be proud to talk cars with you..

Hi Chris,

I live and work just northwest of Hartford. When TSC's USA demo car gets here you are welcome to come and check it out to your hearts content.

Best regards,
Scott
Hey Scott,

I live in Milford currently but I lived in Avon for half my life. My parents still live there. Thanks for the invite.

Chris

Hi Chris,

I left you a couple of replies on the my website forum to answer your questions.

There is one of our cars with a very special blue/black chassis arriving in the Ct. area very soon....

Mark Reid is on here and he has a really cool FFR Coupe...well it was until someone ran into him last weekend..he is a real car guy and I am sure he would be proud to talk cars with you..
Hey Fran,

Thanks again for answering my questions.

Chris

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Chris,

First, welcome. This is a pretty good group who are typically more than willing to pass along their experience (good and bad) and, with a cumulative mountain of knowledge to draw on, you're likely going to learn quite a bit. Occasionally somebody gets up on the wrong side of the bed but, hey, we've all done that at one time or another. Like I mentioned previously, this is a pretty good group.

I have to take exception to item #2 in your post - aren't you just a little young to be waving the white flag? Having gone through some of what you're in right now, I can appreciate how at times it seems that the financial 'Siberia' will never end but, over time, things do change. I know. Been there. Done that.

Until that day does arrive, keep developing the plan. Use the search engine on this site, follow some of the build threads and keep careful track of little details that appeal to you which you've seen on other cars. When your build starts -and it will- you'll already have a direction in mind... starting with a big block Chevy. Right?

Don't give up on your dreams, man. That's a key component to staying young!

Best,

T.

Dutton,

Thank you very much for your kindness. The events that I spoke of are still very recent and even ongoing. Money is only a part of the tragedy. You'd be surprised how little support I've gotten. Your words of encouragement really make a difference.

Thanks,
Chris

Back