Norfolk Tornado builder

Well I think it’s time that I formally introduce myself. I’m based in Norfolk, England (close to Norwich). I’ve been registered with the site for several months, but I’ve been a regular viewer for much longer. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
<o:p>Having spend the last year working in China and starved of any real cars or any form of car culture, this site has been a regular haunt of mine and it re-awakened an old passion for the Ford GT40, something I thought that I'd never be able to afford. Although I couldn’t visit suppliers, this site was valuable asset for the comments from various contributors building the various kits currently on (and off) the market. It has been a major source of inspiration to get back to the UK and start building.</o:p>
With 3 good replica manufacturers in the UK, I'd started to investigate what was available, either as a new kit, a part build or a finished car. With blessing from my wife, on the understanding jobs around the house & garden do not come to a complete standstill, I could start looking.<o:p></o:p>
The good news is that I’ve now purchased a part built Tornado, which effectively is little more than a rolling chassis. The car is currently fitted with a 4.6Ltr Range Rover V8 engine,and is already mated to a Renault 21 turbo transmission. However, I prefer the idea of having the correct Ford 'small block' 302 engine. I could swap it later, but it would mean re-doing most of the engine installation. I’ve now managed to purchased a stripped 302 engine out of a ’74 Falcon and this is now the plan of attack.<o:p></o:p>
I’ve spend that last few weeks preparing my workshop to start the new project (mainly clearing out all the rubbish and a fresh lick of paint on the floor). This should keep me out of the pub for the next few years and regular visitor to this site with lots of questions and as a source of inspiration to keep me going on what I already know will be a long, but highly rewarding build. <o:p></o:p>
Regards<o:p></o:p>
Andy Green

Attachments

• PA220498_2189x1642.jpg
    PA220498_2189x1642.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 467
Andy,

Welcome, looks like it could be an excellent starting point. You've probably found all the Tornado builders on here, any queries and you'll soon have an answer!

Simon

Andy,

Looks great, what a good place to start. What is your build time frame? The pubs may want to put in a spigot at your place and you can charge admission! Looks like you have a very understanding wife and thats a must. Have lots of friends who have started builds but put to much a strain on the family life and sold uncompleted. Have fun and keep us informed! The guys on this forum can be a savior.

Larry

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
Welcome Andy.... now straight to the point....

what colour will it be?

Just teasing its an ongoing joke with me and my fair lady... start a build thread and post loads of pictures. I lurked for about two years before joining and this is the best car site I've ever seen, your in good company.

Andy

Hi Andy

Must be somehing about China and the GT40. I was working there for a few years and almost daily checked out GT40s.com. Before I came back to NZ I placed an order for a GOX with Goran in Sweden. Unfortunately I have had to postpone my project as I will have to return to China in the near future, but one day.....

Cheers

Neil T

Thanks for the positive feedback guys. I reckon it will take me 3-5 years to complete, but the final colour has already been chosen: Ford Windveil Blue, which already had the wife’s seal of approval.

Ron McCall’s RCR has been the inspiration for this, especially after getting a copy of the US Kit-Car builder which features his car.

Regards
Andy

Hi Andy,
I live in Norwich any my 40 is nearly ready to go back on the road save for some engine issues. Send me a pm and maybe we can meet up sometime. I have to warn you that I am among the world's worst mechanics, I rely on my mate John for help.....

Hi Andy,

Greetings from another 'part built' Tornado builder in the UK.

My project and experiences have been of the two steps forward ......one step back type whilst sorting out previous owners minor errors.

If you wana chat feel free to post us

I have been meaning to post photos on this site, am keeping photo log and will eventually get round to it.

Have fun

Karl

Back