one off 70s racecar milwaukee wi.

Hi all...
been lurking here for some time now and I'm just loving the cars...
I hope within the next year to have my wife convinced that i really do need a gt40 kit:D
But 4 now I just finished revamping an old racecar that my dad hand built and raced in the 70s.. its a hand laid one-off fiberglass body, stick welded tube frame, with a pumped up 429.. it weighs a little under 2300lbs.
as a kid i can remember at night looking out the window from the house into the garage and seeing the blue arcing lights from the welder and being amazed that he is building a racecar from scratch.
well my dads racing days are long gone, so he has handed the car down to me.. with lots of work I was able to have it inspected by the state and get it street legal. now i know I was intruding on holy ground but I felt the need to paint her up in gulf colors...

Attachments

• DSC00666_419.jpg
    DSC00666_419.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 517
  • DSC00664_417.jpg
    DSC00664_417.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 510
Very interesting ride.

Did your Father ever get in on the track back in the 70's, and if so, what class would he have ran in? And of course.....how successful was he in the races entered?

Looks nice. Waiting for more information,

Cheers,

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Very exciting! How totally cool of you to honor your father in such a way!
Having raced plenty at Road America and Blackhawk Farms I may have seen this car.. Do you have any original pictures?

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Hi all...
been lurking here for some time now and I'm just loving the cars...
I hope within the next year to have my wife convinced that i really do need a gt40 kit:D

Have your wife email me. I will tell her that your paint scheme is a desperate cry for help and the only thereapy/treatment is a GT40 kit! :)

I called my dad this morning as to refresh my memory on what class he was in..
he only raced for two years 1976 & 1977
it was the Mid western council, Milwaukee sports car club, "A" sport racer..
he ran out at "black hawk farms" and also the fair grounds once known as "young america"..
he did finish a few races in 1st & than some not so good;)
I know its not in the big boy class but its still a nice little example how a guy can build a competitive car in his garage and go out and have some fun..
also I do have some 76-77 race photos that I will be happy to post after i scan them.. at that time the car was white with grabber blue stripes..

Gregg> I will have my wife email you.:D
some nights I sit on "you tube" and watch videos of gt40s just to here the sound of the engine's....
( she thinks i've lost my mind:pepper:)

Craig,

What a sensational opportunity to have your Fathers race car, and be in a position to have what you have.

Your car should qualify for vintage races. I am not 100% sure about that, but if your Father has his old log books from the races in the 70's, you may be able to enter it in vintage events. What a great place to stretch its legs, on a race track! (What are you using for induction?)

You say it is street legal??? Wow! That must be a screamer with a 400"+ engine in a 2300 lbs. race car. You better be in a position to buy extra rear tires for that beast, or find a sponsor that is a tire distributor!

Good luck with your Fathers race car, and I hope you wife sees the importance of the old race car......preserving history......and how everyone here at gt40s.com have the same idea in preserving history with GT40's. You need a GT40, plain and simple......its in your blood.......and tell her I told you so!:pepper::pepper::pepper:

Cheers:chug::cool::cool::cool::burnout:

Craig:

Kudos to you for brining back a piece of History, and how cool that your Dad was able to make a dream come true through his own efforts and not by "Writing a Check". It may not be a "Factory Made Ride" BUT "A" Sports Racing was THE fastest class out there at the time. Dad had "Big Cajunas" to keep the pedal on the floor in that class. Bravo!

Be careful....preserve it and have fun.

Back