Need Help: 996, GT40, RS60, AC COBRA, OR DAYTONA COUPE?!

I am currently in the search for the perfect car for me. I need one that is easy enough to maintain so that I can have it as my daily driver, but with the good looks & power of an exotic, while at the same time, something I can find pre-owned for much less than $100k, & that will most importantly be reliable & not break down. I have a couple friends with Maseratis, Ferraris, etc. & I know they do not make good everyday cars, there's way too much maintenance, are too expensive even used, & waste too much gas. I had already basically decided that what I was going to buy is a Porsche 911 (996), my brother bought a brand new 997 about 2 years ago, he drives it daily, & he drives it hard, & he has never had one problem with it, & although whenever he does go to the dealership to get anything changed, it is expensive, it's not something he has to do often like you would with a Ferrari for example. So like I said, my mind was set on the Porsche, but recently I started looking into the GT40 replicas & it seems like an amazing car. I have also been looking into the Porsche RS60, Shelby AC Cobra, & Daytona Coupe replicas... But the truth is I'm not too keen on car knowledge. So I would appreciate it if you guys here on the forum could help me out on letting me know more about the routine maintenance required on this car, what kind of money I'd be spending on the maintenance, wether it makes a reliable everyday car, what models I can get used at a better price, etc. I'm looking to buy a car in approx. 4 months, so I need help quick. Thanks!

Last edited:

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Raphael

Interesting introduction... Only you know what is perfect for you.
My view on your situation is that a GT40 is not well suited as a daily driver for a few reasons.
- hard to get up steep drives
- no openable windows
- stop for petrol and you get mobbed
- can't get out of car in a carpark
- little to no storage in the car

There are other issues, depending on manufacturer that may or may not present themselves.
I also think that driving it on weekends makes it feel more special - you won't be leaving it in a carpark, you'll be driving it instead. Drive anything everyday and soon the novelty will wear off and the little annoying things suddenly become major issues.
Maintenance is generally easier than any of the other cars you mentioned because it is a fairly basic mechanical setup that most good mechanics would be able to handle, however although there are some guys on this forum that drive their cars hard and regularly, it is not the normal done thing.

Maybe a Porsche will satisfy your daily demands better?? Really depends on what YOU want.

Hope that helps.....

I agree with Bill, the GT is not a daily driver , nor is the cobra. The Daytona is closest to daily practical but even it has its limitations. I think there are some real bargains to be had with 2001-2003 Porsche turbos right now. You can get a nice example for 50K and they truly can be driven like a Toyota. I came close to buying one before I stumbled upon my SPF GT40 recently.

Hey, Bill, Chuck, & Mike. Thanks for the information, although to be honest, that didn't really answer my questions, lol. You see, all the points you made out hardly affect me. I live in San Diego, CA & I don't know if either of you have visited, but there's hardly any steep drives at all here, except in the dowtown areas, which I very rarely visit, not to mention the fact that most of my driving is done on the highway. As far as the non-openable windows, well, most of the replicas have air conditioning, so I don't see why that'd be a problem, unless I went through drive-thrus a lot, which I don't, since I always have one of my employees bring me lunch during the day, & if I leave to eat, it's to go to a nice restaurant where I'd get out of my car anyway. Getting mobbed at the gas station is no problem for me, I'm looking for a car that gets that kind of attention, otherwise I wouldn't be looking to buy specifically an exotic, lol. I see why getting out of the car in a regular parking space would be a problem, but the truth is my daily driving consists of going from store to store (I own 6 small jewelry stores), & I have an extra wide parking space for me at all the locations. Last but not least, the minimal storage space doesn't affect me either because the biggest item I ever carry on me is probably my wallet, lol. If ever I need extra storage space, I have an SUV I bought only for hauling my ATV's when I go off-roading. Of course a car would feel more special if driven less frequently, but I want a car that is special enough to keep me excited everyday.

But back to my original questions: you see, what I really wanted to know about was mainly the type of maintenance required with the engine, how often it would need to be performed, what it would run me as far as price, etc., how often the carbs need tuning, any other mechanical maintenance needed on the car, & the reliability of the car, as in it won't break down on me, or start to need parts changed after every couple thousand miles, etc.

...I really am interested in the GT40, it's definetely beautiful, it has a lot of power for the price, & seems like a real attention grabber. I've watched a couple of videos of GT40 replicas on YouTube & I get excited just seeing them, lol. Right now it's my main choice, but if you guys manage to convince me otherwise, I think I'll just get 2 cars since I just realized how cheap older 996's are selling for, such as this one:
Porsche 911 996
^I could get a car like that one, as well as a cheaper kit car such as a Porsche RS60 replica like this one:
Porsche RSK718 Replica

So keep posting guys! I need as much info as possible. Thanks again!

charlie c

Lifetime Supporter
GT40, Cobra, or Daytona... they all take the same Ford lumps, so maintenance is nil and parts cost a dollar and a half from the NAPA store down the street.

Daytona and Cobra use brandy-new Tremec transmissions, and they are bulletproof, cheap, and sold at the local 7-11.

For the GT40's transaxle, you'll be waiting for the new ZFQ from Quaife, or waiting for an RBT... you'll be waiting, at least a little bit, no matter what.

You really should at least sit in a GT40 before committing to taking it on any kind of non-recreational drive. It is loud, hot, uncomfortable, has zero rear visibility, windows that don't open (unless you remove them completely), and you'll be rubbing shoulders with any terrified passengers who dare to ride with you. However, if you are unlucky enough to be next to a big SUV on the 405, don't worry... if he doesn't see you before he changes lanes (which he won't), the GT40 is so low that you'll fit neatly underneath his chassis. Oh, and you can't see traffic lights unless you're five car lengths back from the intersection, or have a periscope! As to ground clearance, an Apple iPhone won't fit underneath the thing standing up... a soda can ON ITS SIDE will barely make it... you'd be lucky to not scrape on the Bott's Dots on the freeway! We are talking really, really, unbelievably low ground clearance. I have never seen another street-legal car with so little clearance. Four inches from street to floorpan, plus the huge front overhang, equals lots of scraping sounds all day long. If you're taller than 5'9", plan on taking yoga classes to figure out how to get into the thing and shut the door without bashing your head.

Jeff B's dad was kind enough to take me out for a few laps in his SPF GT40 a few weeks ago at Firebird West, and that beast pulls like a freight train, but they needed special methods to get it on and off the toy hauler, whereas the new Ford GT just rolled on and off with no problems (and that beast is looooow by any standards).

All of this adds up to make the choice easy, for me at least... GT40 all the way!!!!

Seriously though, if you're in SD, take a run over to VIP Classics and have a sit in a CAV GT, or, better yet, haul on up to Superformance/Hillbank in Irvine, where you can compare the GT40, Cobra, AND Daytona side by side in the same room... click this link for a recent photo of their new showroom:

Shelby Heaven: Superformance opens new showroom - Autoblog

For the CAV GT40s in SD, click on this one:

Classic cars for sale - European, American antique and Vintage automobiles

And for the Superformance showroom in Irvine, click on:

Hillbank Motor Corporation

A drive up to Hillbank is probably the best bet, you'll be able to sit in and directly compare three of your four options... Good luck making a choice, it won't be easy!

(BTW: What about an 05/06 Ford GT or the new Audi R8?)

Last edited:
Raphael,

I live in Orange County, Ca and have a 550 Spyder, 911 and a GT40. That is why I recommended a Daytona as a low cost daily driver that is practical.

If you want to compare the Daytona ad GT40 side by side, go to Superformance - less than 2 hours from you.

Mike

TonyM

Lifetime Supporter
Here's my two cents.....

I have owned a number of kit cars and did actually use one as a daily driver (Lotus Super Seven) but in the end my, at the time, girlfriend was whinning about getting wet when it rained and the loud noise it made etc. so I had to move on to something a bit more civilized (Lotus Elan) although technically it is still a kit it was equipped with some luxuries...windows (power at that), doors (always a good thing), radio and trunk space.

Even then with all these types of cars I do believe, although simple in concept, they still require more than average maintenance. Don't forget that most are designed and are direct copies of race cars and therefore end up needing more attention as they are built to be rebuilt, if that makes sense. Although some have made significant improvements for road use they can be somewhat temperamental, you only have to take a look through the threads on this forum to find this out, i.e. overheating issues, carburettor problems, fuel pumps problems, transmission issues, electrical bugs and so on. If you are willing to accept that you may break down from time to time and you may need more frequent visits to a mechanic, if your not so mechanically inclined, then OK...but it also won't be cheap, you need to go to someone who specializes in the type of car you're thinking of purchasing and it could still run you $100 plus per hour.

Also, a GT40 doesn't have a spare wheel and no roadside service is going to have a knock off wheel and tire handy.. I know you can get a can of slim to temp fix a flat but it doesn't work all the time. Also, you mentioned gas consumption as a concern...well I don't think there's many GT40 owners that probably give that any consideration and I'm guessing that they don't get much more than 15 mpg at best, I know I don't but maybe that's just a heavy right foot :D.

Most GT40s have some kind of water leak at some point around the doors. I know the sound inside the car is awesome, but I don't think there are too many of us who would feel that way if it was a daily driver and neither would the neighbors.

If you want to be noticed and get reasonable gas mileage and have some form of comfort I would look at something like a Noble that is a more refined, high tech, hi power engine, comfort etc.

Despite what you might think now being in awe of the GT40, although it pains me to say this, I think making it a daily driver will wear you down. I would think long and hard about making any of these types of vehicles a daily driver. You really need to be around them and understand them for a while before making that leap unless you can afford to park it in the garage and go out and by another daily driver.

Not really trying to dampen your day......just think carefully before you leap...:rolleyes:

Cheers,

Last edited:
Agree with Tony here, the GT40 will wear you out as a daily driver - the noise and vibration and semi-harsh ride makes for an uncomfortable ride. Of course, we overlook this while enjoying the car for occasional drives because the thrill of driving such a great looking and powerful car is very engaging, but not every day.

As to maintenance expectations, you'll notice that there are no Service Departments for CAV or Superformance or RCR or Tornado in contrast to porsche, ferrari or maserati. So, you'll have to find someone qualified to work on your GT40 which may prove to be challenging in itself, regardless of relative pricing.

Finally, I really don't think you can consider a 996 and a GT40 as viable alternatives to eachother - they are so dramatically different in almost all respects. The fact that you suggest you could consider a GT40 in the same light as a 996 suggests to me that it might be wise for you to go spend some time in a GT40 - you'll find it's as challenging as it is thrilling, but it certainly isn't comfortable in a daily driver sense!

Gordo

Lifetime Supporter
Here's my two cents.....

I have owned a number of kit cars and did actually use one as a daily driver (Lotus Super Seven) :D:eek::D

TonyM, Respectfully Sir, I submit you have to be nuts! I too own a Seven and quite appreciate your girlfriend's concerns! Don't get me wrong, I love the car - but there is a time and place for everything! Daily driving doesn't make my list. (Especially in NJ!! I used to live in Wayne) You are a brave man! :eek:

Personally I'd go for the Porsche. I own several and my 993 is as user friendly as they get. Zero maintenance since new - other than oil changes. It also has well over 10,000 track miles on it, serving our family very well at a number of PCA events. They are bullet proof!

Gordo
CAV #132
& other selections.

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
I should add that not all GT40s are made equal. If you look through the forum you will see a number of manufacturers have modernised the look and feel of the GT40 so that it is perhaps more user friendly. Interiors, controls, mirrors, reverse cameras, 18 inch wheels, ABS, traction control, central locking, alarms, CD players, modular Ford engines with factory ECU's etc. The sky is the limit.

These will all make living with a GT40 easier than say a Superformance GT40 which is built very close to the original specs - including internal dimensions that are smaller than other replicas.
If you want the look of a 40 but the feel of a 911, then the new Ford GT is about the closest thing to it, however a modernised 40 with factory modular 5.4 including engine loom and ECU will be as reliable as an F150, you just have to find someone that has such a car and is willing to sell it to you... or build it yourself.

Bill

TonyM

Lifetime Supporter
TonyM, Respectfully Sir, I submit you have to be nuts! I too own a Seven and quite appreciate your girlfriend's concerns! Don't get me wrong, I love the car - but there is a time and place for everything! Daily driving doesn't make my list. (Especially in NJ!! I used to live in Wayne) You are a brave man! :eek:

quote]

Gordo,

Please remember I was young, dumb and living in the UK at the time, where the roads were narrow and twisty (oh such sweet memories...... :burnout: ) There's no way I'd use a Seven as a daily driver in NJ...you probably wouldn't make it more than five miles without getting killed..!!!!

Cheers,

as far as maintenance goes,working on a ford small block is as easy and inexpensive as it gets. people who own 40's or cobras tend to tinker with them a lot, but it is easy and parts are cheap. The Daytona is definitly the better daily driver, much along the lines of a Viper, so of the three, I feel it is the best for your needs it would seem. I agree with your thoughts on Ferrari's, the thought of 3 thousand dollar maintenance bills is not my cup of tea.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
chuck I agree with your thoughts on Ferrari's said:
Chuck, quick let me know the name of your Ferrari mechanic. My last service cost me over $10,000.:eek:

When I completed my GT40 I diligently used it as a daily driver for about six Months. But admit that now it has been relegated to weekends.
I found the car comfortable to drive, but scary in peak hour traffic with people taking shots of the car with their phones and invariably moving into my lane.
But my main problem was the amount of time it takes to clean the car after driving in the wet. The suspension components are polished and cleaning them and the lower part of the engine bay is a pain in the butt chore and not my idea of fun.

At the end of the day the car you chose is a bit like the women you choose, what suits you and your needs will be different to the next guys.
And like a woman if you make the wrong choice life could be a misery.
Test as many as possible before you make the final choice.
Or have a daily driver and a mistress..Er.:eek: fun car for the weekend.

Last edited:

Malcolm

Supporter
For everyday use, go with the 996. Mine has the switchable sports exhaust so I can be a hooligan at will, but sociable near my own house! The cobra I had and the 40 I have are not daily drivers.

Wow, I barely checked this thing & you guys have left a lot of great feedback for me, thanks for all the help!

to Charlie C.:
  • The uncomfortability of the car wouldn't really bother me.
  • As for the heat in the car, I've seen some companies that make more modern versions with A/C, actual windows, etc.
  • It's very rare that I have passengers, but when I do they're usually beautiful women, so that's okay.
  • I could always just look at the car's next to me, & when they go, I go, lol. Also, the light for the right-hand turn always turns green at the same time as the one to go straight, & those are much lower, so I'd be able to see those.
  • Yes, 4 inches of ground clearance is pretty low; but most companies actually make them with 5 inches of ground clearance, which is exactly the same clearance that a Porsche 911 has.
  • I'm only 5'8", so that's okay.
  • Actually I've taken a quick look at CAV GT40's at VIP, but never had a chance to actually sit in one & all that stuff because whenever I've gone, it's only because I park there when I'm running to get supplies or something from the Jeweler's Exchange across the street.
..& wow, I didn't know SF had a distributor so close to here, I might have to go & check it out, I go up around those areas every once in a while anyway.

Oh, trust me, I love the new GT as well as the Audi R8, the problem is I don't have 100K+ to spend on a car, otherwise I'd be deciding between the R8, new GT, & Porsche GT2, lol.

to Mike: Thanks, like I told Charlie, I think I'll have to go & check out the SF showroom. Great idea!

to Tony M: I know any exotic car, even the Porsche's will need more maintenance than your average car, & I have no problem with that. My concern would be if I had to spend $10K or something crazy like that to get maintenance on it, like you would with a Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, etc. As far as problems with the carb, I'd probably just upgrade to a fuel injection system so I'd have less problems. As for the tire problem, whenever I get flats, I don't call roadside assistance or anything since my insurance doesn't offer that, but one of my customer's owns a towing company, so he only charges me $50 bucks to tow my car anywhere in SD, I know, cheap huh?! As for the noise problem, one of my neighbors drives a loud ass fuck Harley-Davidson as his daily driver, & he leaves early in the morning, but everyone in my neighborhood is pretty chill so no one ever complains, & as for me, I love the sound of a loud engine. But Tony, you are right about the fact that making any of these cars a daily driver is a critical decision I need to think about, which is exactly what I'm doing. I am 100% sure & set on the fact that I'm going to buy one of the exotics I mentioned, now the problem is deciding which one. Thanks.

to Cliff: San Diego actually has a pretty large amount of classic/collector car enthusiast, so there happens to be a lot of mechanics specializing in these kind of vehicles, finding one would be no problem around here. Yes, I definetely agree that the Porsche 911 & GT40 are like day & night, or cookies with soda. It just so happens that those are the two cars that really interest me the most, but I know they are incomparable. I just like a little bit of everything.

to Gordo: Yes, I've heard this from every single person who owns a Porsche, including everyday from my brother who owns a 997, lol. This is why my main choices are the Porsche & GT40. But it's difficult to choose between the comfortability, low maintenance, good gas mileage, etc. of a Porsche, & the raw power, racecar feel, & exotic eye-catching looks of the GT40.

to Bill Hara: I've been looking through different manufacturers, & I found a company called Lonestar Classics who apparently makes a more modern version of the GT40 with A/C, windows that roll down, etc. but I can't seem to find one anywhere on the net that actually has one, & if you look at the pictures of the one on their site, the way everything is finished actually looks kind of cheap. Do you know of anyone who has one or know about the quality of this company's GT40's? Take a look at the gallery of the GT40 I'm telling you about. Customer Car Gallery

to Chuck: I had heard before that those Ford small blocks are reliable, easy to work with, & cheap. So you just reinforced that thought. Yes, the Daytona does seem pretty great, but I can't seem to find any used ones. The few I've found are along the lines of $100K & I'm not looking to spend quite that much. I've seen some almost new GT40s sell for around $60K, so hopefully I can find a fairly used one for around $50K, if that's possible, lol. Otherwise there's the LoneStar Classics kit I've been looking at which is only $27K for the full kit, plus engine, seats, wheels, & a couple other small things. So I could probably build that for around $40-50K. The problem is I can't seem to find any info on LoneStar GT40s, as in people who own them or anything. So there's no way of me finding out the quality of their build or anything. Do you know anything about them?

to Pete: I see why it would be a problem in traffic, but I'm sure that's something I could get used to as well. As far as cleaning the car when driving in the wet, it rains about 5 times a year in San Diego, CA! & you're right, the car you choose is a bit like the women you choose. The problem here, is that I have more than one woman. I unfortunately can not afford more than one car, so I guess it's not the same, lol.

to Malcolm: That might just be what I do. It depends on wether the feel, power, & beauty of the GT40 is enough to overthrow the great everyday features of the Porsche. Hard decision though!

to everyone: My decision is still a hard one, so any more info you guys can give will definetely help. But remember I'm looking to know more about engine problems than the ride of the car. Also, where can I find one around $50K? I don't care wether it's been used quite a bit or if I have to build it. & does anyone know anything about the Lonestar Classics GT40s? They seem to be very user-friendly, they have a lot of modern features, plus the complete kit is only $27K plus engine & a couple other things, so I'm guessing I could build that kit with even as little as $40K. Help, I'm pretty ignorant as far as GT40s go! lol. Thanks again guys!

$50k budget - I change my recommendation back to the Porsche. Mine has been a really inexpensive car to own - it is a 1985 Carrera and it now has 243,000 miles on it with no major issues. I have never had a large maintenance bill with it in the 18+ years that I have owned it. It still starts every time and runs strong. I used to have yearly maintenance at $500 a year for regular service, but now I don't even do that.

Mike

TonyM

Lifetime Supporter
to everyone: My decision is still a hard one, so any more info you guys can give will definetely help. But remember I'm looking to know more about engine problems than the ride of the car. Also, where can I find one around $50K? I don't care wether it's been used quite a bit or if I have to build it. & does anyone know anything about the Lonestar Classics GT40s? They seem to be very user-friendly, they have a lot of modern features, plus the complete kit is only $27K plus engine & a couple other things, so I'm guessing I could build that kit with even as little as $40K. Help, I'm pretty ignorant as far as GT40s go! lol. Thanks again guys![/quote]

Just one thing on the noise issue, there is a whole lot of difference in a bike with loud pipes and being inside a small car with loud pipes plus other noises....you really need to try one out and ask yourself if you are prepared to live with it....or wear ear plugs/defenders.

The Lonestar Classic LS40 is not a true GT40 replica, it is, in the "likeness" of a GT40. If you want something similar to a GT40 but not really a GT40 this maybe the car for you. It is obviously a bit taller than a GT40 and uses a Ford Zetec 4 cylinder motor so it would definately be economical and reliable but it won't sound like a GT40. Lonestar does seem to push it as being a daily driver.
Heh......it even has cup holders..:chug:

From what I can see Lonestar will work with you and build you a turnkey car..but for how much and how long will it take...not sure.

If you're looking at going that route you can get a re-bodied Fiero that looks like a Mark I for a lot less money and have a good daily driver..with a V8 and turnkey for less than $45k. Check out V-8 Archie -- Pontiac Fiero V-8 Kits and Kit Cars and look at the GT4T kit.

You had said earlier that you didn't want to work on a car or have the knowledge.... Building a kit car from the ground up requires a lot mechanical ability and access to a bunch of tools etc. It is also never as easy as the manufacturer says it is. There again, read the posts here, no one gets a kit and assembles it just like that, they usually require being built in raw form to get the bugs out, stripped back down for prep and paint and then final assemble. I've seen way too many people start a project like this and end up selling less than half way through out of frustration and also taking a serious hit to the pocket in the process. You only have to check out the kit car classifieds and see how many unfinished cars there are for sale.

One good thing about buying a GT40 from say Superformance or CAV, they have already been built correctly (for the most part) and should only require the installation of an engine, transaxle and some minor tweaking..to be honest though you're not going to get away with spending much less than $90k to $100k when your all done.

As for finding a GT40 replica for $50k, I don't think that is likely and if it is, the chances are you going to have to put a bunch more $ into it.....

Cheers,

Last edited:

Ron Earp

Admin
As for finding a GT40 replica for $50k, I don't think that is likely and if it is, the chances are you going to have to put a bunch more $ into it.....

Cheers,

While not likely, they have come up from time to time. There was a complete RF that sold for $50k about a year ago. A CAV space frame went for about the same price around the same time. Both cars were completed, driving, and licensed examples. A mono CAV went for about $4k higher a few months later.

Now, all of these cars weren't fleshed out 100% I'm sure and all three used less-expensive Audi 016 transaxles, but they were driving GT40s.

Used to keep a little Excel sheet with selling prices etc. of GT40s around the area, although I long gave that up....

The Lonestar GT40 kit is no where close to an original GT40. And it uses the Ford Z-tec 4-cyl engine.

You are in somewhat of a quandry here. It's almost impossible to find a completed GT40 for $50K or less

Back