Another Newbie from downunder........

Hi Guys, Have checked into the site as a visitor numerous times.....its time to join I figured. My interest is mainly directed to the Gurney Weslake and Weber IDA's....A Boss 302 is my passion. There are a lot of very knowledgable people on board here.....Its a brilliant site! Cheers, Rodders

Rodders, if your from downunder, your tops in my books.

Hang on, looks like you are a kiwi. I suppose that's ok. :)

Actually just had a young kiwi girl over looking at a car I've got for sale. She beat me down in price and told me what she was going to pay. What else could I do but I agree and she is going to wire over the funds from NZ. Sounds like she has only been here a few weeks.

Gurney Weslake...Weber IDA's....A Boss 302...can't argue with that. You will make a lot of friends here with those words. :D

Rodder, hi mate from a fellow kiwi, whats your local, theres quite a few of us on here now , gota keep the rest of the world honest aye
cheers John

Hi John, Based in Auckland......Yep, it's neat to see fellow kiwi builds. Was reading with interest magneto posts from Mr Noble.....I am fascinated by mags too.
Cheers, Rodders

Rodders, see you have a passion for Boss 302's so you cant be too bad a bloke, used to be heaps of Boss stuff along with GW back in the old OSCA days- can still remember a row of Falconer & Dunn 302 motors at PDL on the shelf. Hope you dont mind, think I talked Russ out of running a magneto.:).

Hi Jac, It was as an 11 year old boy on a school trip to PDL Racing in Ferry Road that the Boss 302 thing was started! I did'nt realise that Falconer and Dunn were engine suppliers, interesting! My IDA's (on a 351C intake) came from PDL orginally, along with a 351C 4 bolt block, camshaft, etc etc.
Gurney Weslakes in OSCA.....I remember Bob Slade, Rob Kennard, Kim Buckley all running these.
Great times!
Rodders

Stuff from Falconer/Dunn was a 'buy out' at end of USA/Can TA series as I understand it. Alloy Cleveland blocks were a 'back door' casting deal @ Ford that had not worked out due to lack of material in webs. A 'well known' Aussie scooped them up before they were -remelted- and shipped them out here and they ended up in PDL Mustang's- Moffats-Sidchrome + others I believe.

The same set of GW heads saw service with all the guys you mention with the Cortina of Kennard/Buckley & Slade had them on his Mustang plus the Capri that was owned by Jim K from the west coast I think. I remember Bob testing @ Ruapuna & couldnt get the thing to go right. He knew he had less than optimum compression ratio & squish due to lack of time to procure/make correct items, so in desperation he advanced the dizzy to give 55° total. It worked, nobody could catch him on raceday. Talking to him later he reasoned that due to the alloy heat flow rates plus the better chamber design of the GW that it was OK. You have to remember that we were running 42° total on popups on Iron Boss 302 stuff in those days so it was not that far out of line.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Bob was never one to be confined by traditional thinking..... I remember some years before the Mustang when he had his Anglia with a sleeved, hugely overbored Cortina motor that kept splitting the block lengthwise. The attempted cure was to drill through the block between the bores and install three long bolts to try to pretension it to prevent the splitting....Can't really remember now how successful that was, but I think it made them last a little longer.

From memory there were a few GW heads around; I remember trying to purchase a set from Rob Kennard...(too young, could'nt raise the funds)....I think that he had 3 or 4 sets, with both the 4v and IDA intakes. KB still had his, much modified with roller rockers etc and Hilborn injection.
The mag thing still interests me, the PDL 2 engine set up.... Gurney Weslakes, magneto etc....admittedly with injection...has looks that are hard to beat!
What heads are you using on your 351W Russ?
Rodders

Back