First impressions P2264

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Hello, my name is Jim Craik, and this is my first real post. I have been lurking around for almost a year, but I wanted to wait until I has something constructive to add.

In late October I took delivery of my life long dream, (well actually I was 14 when I got a copy of the 1964 Automobile Year and first saw her) she's black and lives in the garage. I could not be happier.

In July I ordered a GT40 Mk 1, black with no stripes. I got it set up for a small block, the only options were Leather, ceramic headers and two Gurney bubbles (all my friends are tall). It was delivered to spf in Reno, NV and arrived in early Sep (it seemed like years).

As I plan on only using it for the street, I went with essentially the original street car set up, a 302, (Roush doesn't do 289s) and an RBT-ZF. Full Throttle in Reno did the installation and I feel they did a great job. I had them add a fire bottle (after reading about all the burned ones in Ronnie Spain's book).

After getting side mirrors from Summit Racing I set of for my home in Saratoga (Silicon Valley) approx 4-5 hour drive. I must say I had plenty of concerns about the trip, would the car hold up? Would I hold up? Would the weather hold up? (I had read about their water absorption).

I need not have worried. She was like a dream, ran great, comfortable, loped along in 5th, fairly quiet and even the rear vision was not at all bad!

Now after 3 months and a little over 2,000 miles I must say the my experience with her has been great! I have yet to have any problems, except for trying to get fuel into it. Even with both fillers open, it will only take very small amounts of fuel befor clicking off. I have been told this is fairly standard (anyone have any thoughts?). Anyway, I think that is enough for now. I'll try and add some pix but I'm fairly lame when it comes to that sort of thing.

Attachments

• GT40 - .jpg
    GT40 - .jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 359
  • HPIM0951.jpg
    HPIM0951.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 428
  • HPIM0953.jpg
    HPIM0953.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 386
  • HPIM0954.jpg
    HPIM0954.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 366
Congrats and welcome Jim. She's beautiful. The black w/o stripes or lettering is stunning (exactly what I'd like to re-paint my car). Great to hear you had a good trip and the miles are being enjoyable. There's nothing like a well sorted GT40 on a nice day with some miles ahead of you.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Hey Jim, great looking car!! Here are pictures of my car you wanted. Never could figure out how to send on PM. Lets get together next visit in to Norcal. Maybe a drive to Mendocino.

Attachments

• IMG_9188.jpg
    IMG_9188.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_9189.jpg
    IMG_9189.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 305
  • DSC_1755.jpg
    DSC_1755.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 288
  • DSCF5933.jpg
    DSCF5933.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 292

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Jack, its great to hear from you, your car is a real beauty! We really should get together, my wife and I love Mendocino. Although I live in the "valley" I'm still a 20th century guy and I'm not sure how to make private messages work. My e-mail is [email protected], hope to hear from you soon.

Hello Jim, congratulations on your car, it is gorgeous!
I am looking forward to my first drive as soon as my exhaust pipes arrive from Hi Tech.
I am running a 347 and there were no exhaust pipes in the country for a 302 SPF.
Looking forward to seeing you at some event (maybe Monterey).
Dave

Great car Jim. Good to see some other SPF's without stripes. Mine fills a little slow, but I've found some gas pumps are more sensitive than others with cutoff. I'm amazed to get 20+mpg highway with a 427SR, but city is pretty sad at 10mpg. When they're this much fun to drive who cares!

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Jim,

Beautiful in black.

Yes, my gas filling is painfully slow. Two things contribute to this in my tanks which are of my doing. I redesigned new tanks and installed foam filler and made filler necks that have angled cuts to them. Both contribute to fuel backing up into the neck while filling.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I don't have a problem here in AR as we do not have the vapor recovery system required by CA. I DO have a problem in CA with fueling my old Lambo with those special hoses.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
David Brigs,
Its good to hear from you, is your car the Lambo orange one from Chicago? I have been following your tribulations, its good to see you are on the road to... on the road. I almost positive I'll be at Monterey in August, is there a Ford parking area? I may get down south before then, I feel I'm in need of a Chino aircraft fix, its been a few years. We should try and get together.

David Brigs,
Its good to hear from you, is your car the Lambo orange one from Chicago? I have been following your tribulations, its good to see you are on the road to... on the road. I almost positive I'll be at Monterey in August, is there a Ford parking area? I may get down south before then, I feel I'm in need of a Chino aircraft fix, its been a few years. We should try and get together.

Jim,

Answering for Dave--yes, his is the Lambo orange car from Chicago.

With respect to the Monterey parking area, the performance Ford corral is handled by the Nor-Cal Shelby Club. Since you live right in the heart of Nor-Cal SAAC territory, you really should hook up with them; their club meetings are probably five minutes from your house, barely long enough to get the car warmed up! They put on several excellent track events each year, at Laguna Seca, Sears Point and Thunderhill. All the information on the club is at their *fantastic* website, Nor Cal Shelby Club.

Alternatively, the Pantera Club of Northern California also has a parking corral in Monterey, and you'd be welcome there too. Their (similarly excellent) website is Pantera Club of Northern California

Cheers! :thumbsup:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Mike, thanks for the info, I'll look up the Nor-Cal Shelby group! Sounds like fun. Will you be at Laguna in August?

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Steve,
The Summit racing part# is CIP-19100, Universal Automotive Mirrors.

The come in flat black, I was going to paint them in gloss to match the exterior paint but the flat finish looks great, with nice proportions. They are not remote adjusting so it takes two people to set them up, but they are only $24 for two, are very light and I think they look good on the 40.

A funnel helps (the big kind). They are cheap. Just leave it at the gas station where you fill up sort of on top of the paper towel dispenser.

Back